Klonoa Collective: Where our official ship is Joka x Janga.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Custom resolutions and EDID overrides  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Custom resolutions and EDID overrides
« on: November 11, 2015, 01:08:54 am »
Ah alright. Also did a comparison just in case. + I have pretty much only used the forums new default theme for the most part anyways.

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
Re: Custom resolutions and EDID overrides
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 01:31:56 am »
Wow. is that image 2728x1384? What's your screen resolution? I was thinking 2560x wide image is enough for everyone. Now seeing that blurry image... :|

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 01:46:33 am »
I'm actually on a 1366x768 tv atm :x my current gpu cannot do analog so no weird crt tricks atm. I messed with the edid using custom resolution utility and got 2732x1536 to actually display on the poor thing because of how the weird lcd scaler works. Things are a little hard to read so I use that res mostly for a few games or testing stuff.

AMD also has virtual super resolution but it's terribly blurry I barely use it. Nvidia's DSR is not any better either

oh wait it is 2728 atm because video driver was derping to lazy to fix atm. pretty much I can do this. 2732x1536 at most at 33hz or 2732x1536 cut down to 2728x1536 at 60hz interlaced I've not tried going higher.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:48:56 am by Voka Moo »

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 03:18:01 am »
I wonder if it's possible to do this on a laptop. Almost all laptops (mine included) uses dedicated gpu for 3D rendering and uses Intel for screen managament :/

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 03:42:53 pm »
I sent you a pm with some stuff sorry its so off topic : x
From what I am reading much of this won't work on intel of laptop switchable graphics cards but you can try anyways http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

These are some of the tools I use but I guess like overclocking do some stuff within sane limits unless you don't mind having to reinstall video drivers a few times in safe mode https://www.mediafire.com/?azhx8s58wz8bza5

results vary a ton :x I've gotten One lcd tv to do double native res over hdmi but it refused to do it over vga. I tried going higher and got it to accept 4000x3072 but it just made a big magenta screen and only showed that it saw the signal but was displaying nothing useful. I had another lcd TV that was much older not be able to accept resolutions between 1360x768 and 1920x1080. I was attempting to get 1706x960 out of it :c

borrowed someones 1080p screen once and got a weid 2880x2160 interlaced but it was sort of ew looking

CRTs are crazy flexible but the big 19inch or so ones are a lot better to mess with. They tend to get stuck around 2704x1728 unless you cut sync width down really hard and don't mind some distortion :x I can go higher with interlaced but so far on both Nvidia and AMD/ATI if I try interlacing beyond 1536 line vertical it starts becoming weird garble :c . I had 1280x3072 60hz interlaced once but if I made it wider it would become glitchy video driver implosion blocky garble
From what I've read it doesn't usually work with intel video chipsets but I've not got one to test that with atm.
It can be a bit risky to do as well but in my case worst thing that has happened is I ended up needing to go into safe mode and entirely uninstall my video driver because it got very confused.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:57:04 pm by Rupurudu! »

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 11:49:10 pm »
I saw the PM. You can split the topic if you want I splitted the topic and moved it to nerd chat. :D

First I tried with Intel's own app, I got the "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity" even when I'm not increasing stuff at all. I found the answer on the internet [1][2][3]

CRU is also not working. It can set custom resolutions, but they are not visible, even after running restart.exe

They also mentioned this on their website:
    Intel's graphics driver does not support EDID overrides
    Laptops with switchable graphics are not supported

I found another tool named DTD Calculator but it only shows my internal display, not my monitor :|
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:55:52 pm by Rupurudu! »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 11:59:12 pm »
We both tried to split this at the same time I think xd. You made my forum split panel thing glitch @_@

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 12:05:01 am »
I think so. Hmm Should I report this to SMF team? :confused: Or just ignore about it, since it doesn't happen often. x_x (I should stop this before the thread becomes offtopic again :sick:)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 12:06:18 am »
I have not used this tool in a long while but way back when I had a dell with win xp it let me mess with my integrated gpu a little though I think I just overclocked it some. So maybe by some chance it could hopefully let you force a video mode though like CRU it can still screw stuff up too.

http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

Maybe let smf team know that on rare occasion potentially 2 users editing one thread can make one or the other of the 2 users editing panel glitch out. "I'm horribly bad for hopping topics too xD"

I think you applied you settings first and it overrode mine though.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:07:55 am by Voka Moo »

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 12:51:25 am »
Hmm this one worked, partially. I can change front porch, sync width, and back porch on both horizontal and vertical geometry. But I can't change active pixels.

Internal display instantly garbles up when any setting is changed. External one is more resistant, can accept any horizontal geometry setting I put in, but it start flashing if vertical geometry FP+SW+BP is under 42 or above 43
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:57:25 am by Rupurudu! »