No one knows what Rupurudu! really does. It is said he lives in the internet, eating code to keep the server running.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Google Cardboard and other cheap 3d VR visors  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Vincentmrl

• Crazy Pianist
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Moo!
Google Cardboard and other cheap 3d VR visors
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:37:47 pm »
Hey guys, recently I built a test Google Cardboard for my iPhone 4S (keep in mind that the screen is a 960x640 3:2 3,5" screen) to test if I can do something like a game for it, and I'm really amazed by the result of a simple cardboard box with a divider put between the screen to divide each side to have a 3D effect even though it's a bit blurry without the magnifying lenses it normally comes with. I should try one of the Klonoa games in VR mode to check how good they would look with depth perception, also I even tried Touhou games for the lols and somehow I managed to avoid bullets even though it was a bit confusing due to the blurriness. I'm also trying to make the gyroscope info work on games that support trackir and other things, because there's a program for iOs (gagagu VR Streamer) that can be used in combo with opentrack to do things and I would really like to play games like driving sims in a full 3d immersion (which looks like a 4:3 thing lol).

Does any of you own a Cardboard or similar like the Durovis Dive and anything that is a visor with lens where you put your phone in?

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: Google Cardboard and other cheap 3d VR visors
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »
I don't have a compatible size tablet or phone but I didn't know it was such a designed think already .___. kinda interesting if only had I more of a correct setup or screen for it.

Offline Vincentmrl

• Crazy Pianist
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Moo!
Re: Google Cardboard and other cheap 3d VR visors
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 09:16:33 pm »
incompatibility doesn't exist, some people even built homemade visors with 7" screen tablets with homemade motion sensing and also freetrack with a marker put on the front of the device to use te camera and also have positional sensors together with rotation. I think that the oculus exists only because not everyone wants to build their visor and also because oculus support for many games is basically plug and play. I am still amazed by the speed this technology is becoming this affordable to get.