Vincentmrl's Mac can make origami out of hamburga french fry. Don't ask how.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Are you folks from US still learning cursive handwriting in public schools?  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Gyzyn

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
You know, in Europe mostly handwritting is still taught in public schools, but I've been surprised reading that in the US it's disappearing from public schools. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/cursive-handwriting-disappearing-from-public-schools/2013/04/04/215862e0-7d23-11e2-a044-676856536b40_story.html

What are your thoughts about this?

I'm not going to lie, my cursive handwritting is ugly, but it is legible for me. Some people may consider it a positive thing, since almost nobody except me can read my notes.

EDIT:
Plus I absolutely have to write using a fountain pen. I hate writting using regular cheap pens, they make my handwritting even uglier.

Offline Scroptels Gluzar

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 24
    • Pixiv
Probably not, I'm not from the US but I was never taught cursive hand writing, I was only showed the letters but that's all and I don't even remember all of them

Offline Gyzyn

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
I'm 22 and was required to use handwritting through almost all of my public schooling. Nowadays I don't have to use it, but still use it because it's more handy than carring a laptop with you all the time. I'm from Poland BTW.

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
I learned to use cursive in 4-5 grade and I've been using it ever since, so yeah.
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline Scroptels Gluzar

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 24
    • Pixiv
Nah I never used it, maybe because the school I was in was considered a school for poor people, but most young people were I live don't use it either, a lot of the old folks do use it like my mom (though is hard to understand what she writes for me, her cursive hand writing isn't so good)

Also, I don't mind it disappearing because... Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe!!! Language is always changing.

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
Back in my day we did, I also learned sentence diagrams and calligraphy, but I learned cursive back in the third grade and I've used cursive since,because my regular handwriting sucks.

I wanna relearn calligraphy though.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
I was taught cursive from 2nd- 3rd grade then never saw it again and in my senior year /12th grade of high school I learned of it's removal from the curriculum.

About the only thing I can write in cursive now is my own name.

Offline mnstrmthd

• Cursed
  • Dreamer Rating: 32
  • inactive
I write in a weird print-cursive hybrid when I'm trying to be fast, but that's about it.

We were taught it in 3rd grade or so and they told us "cursive is important, you will use it all your lives!"
It was literally never mentioned again until 11th grade SATs and it was just one tiny line of text. I think it may be more common to teach in private schools, but not so much public schools nowadays.

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
I learned cursive back in Elementary school. They were pushing for us to always use it back then but now I only use it for signing documents and.. my cursive still sucks. xD

Offline AlphaRed9X

• Stand User
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • is Mayonnaise a Klonoa?
I was taught cursive from 2nd- 3rd grade then never saw it again and in my senior year /12th grade of high school I learned of it's removal from the curriculum.

About the only thing I can write in cursive now is my own name.

That's the case with me, too. They don't even teach us how to hold the pencil properly anymore, let alone how each letter is written in cursive. And by now, I've gotten used to holding the pencil with 4 fingers, which is most likely why my cursive turns out so sloppy (and some people even mock me for it). Yet, when I was signing my ticket for the SATs they expected me to rewrite a whole paragraph in cursive as though I should have mastered it by then. I find it funny that they tell us how important it is to be able to write the most basic cursive, yet refuse to teach us how to do it.

America's a funny place, it truly is...  :sad face:
It a me