You can't hate Popka. He's a jerk with a heart of gold.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Let's talk about Klonoa's current state of popularity...  (Read 7912 times)

Offline Naoya

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
  • Way too personal
Re: Let's talk about Klonoa's current state of popularity...
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 12:28:31 am »
Well, since this place is open again...

I mostly agree with Sable. I find it unlikely Klonoa will ever get a new game. It's not like Megaman, where Capcom decides to flip the bird to a large and dedicated fanbase on a yearly basis. The last Megaman game is only 4~5 years old, the fanbase was always large, and he got included in Sm4sh which is going to boost his already formidable popularity through the roof. No, Klonoa's last game was a disaster, was a dozen years ago and Klonoa has sadly never been that popular. Klonoa had a rough start to begin with. His 2D games came out in a time where 3D platformers were taking over the market. And as the years went by, gamers were more and more interested in gritty, realistic games, the opposite of what Klonoa is. There was no hope for him then, and it quickly went downhill from there.

However, there is a silver lining. 2D platformers made a comeback. The indie scene is strong, and games like Klonoa's are now very much on the forefront of the industry. If Klonoa was to make a come back, now would be his best bet.
The Crimson Angel of Judecca cometh!

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 07:33:41 am »
And all of a sudden, a popularity thread turned into a thread where people give their thoughts as to whether or not a new Klonoa game will happen.
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline Naoya

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
  • Way too personal
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 08:00:57 am »
And all of a sudden, a popularity thread turned into a thread where people give their thoughts as to whether or not a new Klonoa game will happen.

Which is pretty much why popularity matters for a video game series, no?
The Crimson Angel of Judecca cometh!

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 10:17:37 am »

Which is pretty much why popularity matters for a video game series, no?

Agreed. I mean if that's the case if Alex Kidd was popular, I'm sure we'd see more games from that franchise. But it isn't and that's why there hasn't been a game in forever.

Offline Artsy

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 12:21:55 pm »
However, there is a silver lining. 2D platformers made a comeback. The indie scene is strong, and games like Klonoa's are now very much on the forefront of the industry. If Klonoa was to make a come back, now would be his best bet.

That's probably why Empire of Dreams is available on virtual console... Although, I feel as if it would have sold better had it been for the 3DS, but oh well... Since it is available on a next gen console, shouldn't now be the time where we try to get more Klonoa-related content on the internet? I mean, so get Wii U owners interested or curious?

And Door to Phantomile is still available in the playstation store for a low price (I think it's around $6) ... If people got interested, and started buying the games, wouldn't that show Namco that they could still make a fair amount of money off of this, and maybe get them to give Klonoa another look?

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 12:33:26 pm »

That's probably why Empire of Dreams is available on virtual console... Although, I feel as if it would have sold better had it been for the 3DS, but oh well... Since it is available on a next gen console, shouldn't now be the time where we try to get more Klonoa-related content on the internet? I mean, so get Wii U owners interested or curious?

And Door to Phantomile is still available in the playstation store for a low price (I think it's around $6) ... If people got interested, and started buying the games, wouldn't that show Namco that they could still make a fair amount of money off of this, and maybe get them to give Klonoa another look?
Yeah. That, and do fan projects if we can. That's why I'm doing Klonoa: Corruption.

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Not a fan of Sonic/Pokemon
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 01:37:02 pm »
Come on. The original Door to Phantomile has been digitally available for long time. If people can get intrested, they should have noticed Klonoa already.
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 02:17:58 pm »
Come on. The original Door to Phantomile has been digitally available for long time. If people can get intrested, they should have noticed Klonoa already.
That's flawed logic, Rolling. Not everyone has access to PSN and not everyone knows it's on PSN, let alone that it's advertised on that it's available.

To me, I think Namco gave Phatomile plenty of chances to lure in more fans, seeing it's available for yet for PSN and the Wii as a remake, which makes a total of the game being released 3 times already.  How many times have Lunatea been released? Once. I think it would be nice if Namco gave some attention to releasing/making a HD port (no remakes, ugh) of Lunatea. I mean, I'm pretty sure DCT will be released via Virtual Console soon enough, but Lunatea could use some loving too.

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 03:04:27 pm »
That's flawed logic, Rolling. Not everyone has access to PSN and not everyone knows it's on PSN, let alone that it's advertised on that it's available.

To me, I think Namco gave Phatomile plenty of chances to lure in more fans, seeing it's available for yet for PSN and the Wii as a remake, which makes a total of the game being released 3 times already.  How many times have Lunatea been released? Once. I think it would be nice if Namco gave some attention to releasing/making a HD port (no remakes, ugh) of Lunatea. I mean, I'm pretty sure DCT will be released via Virtual Console soon enough, but Lunatea could use some loving too.

I agree, but they probably can't just port it in HD. They'd probably have to optimize it for modern consoles too. And a simple HD port might not be able to do it.

Offline Buchiu

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
  • U///U
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 09:17:50 pm »
I hope they do a new game, but if not, maybe at least a remake of moonlight museum. Maybe for the 3ds or for the wiiU Because I couldn't enjoy it when I played it years ago, as I had no idea what the game was about (being only in japanese) the same goes for Klonoa heroes :/