It is said that Dae is raising a Floof Army. Beware.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Making a Phantomilian vocabulary  (Read 14913 times)

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • ’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
    • My website
Re: Making a Phantomilian vocabulary
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 08:29:10 am »
It's good (and fun) to know all these words (I'll be sure to add these to my Memrise course ;) ), but how is the language actually structured?

Based on my findings, to ask something, the structure seems the same as many languages, it's like "Question Noun" kind of thing, for example "Manu Beepono?" (What data?), so if we were to use that, could we say "Dufreffi Jiorianto?" for "How do we get to Joliant?", for example?

It looks as though Phantomilian uses different forms of "What" "Where" etc. for different situations, such as "Wahee?" as to simply ask "What?" and "Manu ... ?" to ask about a certain (type of) object, so maybe it could be like the Slavic languages, where the word order and structure actually isn't important, so we can make whatever word order we like and it'd give out the same message, which is mostly reliant on the versions and variants on words used?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:31:05 am by Cobra! »

Offline [removed]

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 08:35:32 am »
Sounds pretty interesting :D

I don't know much about it, just a few words from the ones written in he first post. I would like to use them with friends, but unfortunately they don't know about klonoa -.- xD
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:37:09 am by Pikewin »

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 08:42:34 am »
I think we need to sit down and try and decode this language and figure out it's grammar, because I would love to just talk in this language!

I don't know much about it, just simple words as "Laku du" (help me) or "tropa, turopa" (thanks) (I don't really know how to type them xD)
AHA! "Laku Du"! :D Most people spelt it like "Lakudu", "Du" is listed as "You", which may mean "Laku du" literally translates to "Help You", so I'm assuming "Laku" means "Help me"!

Italian has various forms of verbs depending on the subject, for example, "Voglio" means I want, and "Voui" means You want, both in the present form.
Phantomilian must have different verbs as well, but they may vary on the object, rather than subject! "Laku" must mean "To help me" or simply "Help me"!

So if I'm right, "Laku du" must literally translate to "Help me you" or "You help me"!

Feels like I've just has a eureka moment! :D

EDIT: Hmm... Why stop there? Maybe we can split it further as "La Ku Du"?

The only term I could find in the vocabulary that contains "me" as the object is "Korya shitusrei" (Excuse me), but I see no connection... :(

EDIT 2: Wait! ...Maybe it's actually "Lakutu", as "tu" is also in "Korya shitusrei", which may mean "tu" means "me", not "you"... I'm thinking too much into it, aren't I? :(
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:51:32 am by Cobra! »

Offline [removed]

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 08:53:00 am »
In Catalan and Spanish happens the same as in Italian:

Catalan:
Vull - I want
Vols - You want
Vol - He/She wants
Volem - We want
Voleu/Volen - They want

For example, with Help me:
Catalan:
Ajuda'm - Help me
Ajuda'l - Help him
Ajuda'ns - Help us
Ajuda'ls - Help them

Spanish:
Ayúdame - Help me
Ayúdale/Ayúdala - Help him/her
Ayúdanos - Help us
Ayúdales/Ayúdalos - Help them

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 08:56:11 am »
Yeah, maybe Phantomilian does something similar.

So maybe "Laukudu" simply means "Help me", and there are other forms for different subjects or objects, which would bring us back to square one...

The Klonoa wiki says this at the top of it's vocabulary page "In the worlds of the Klonoa franchise, the inhabitants speak a gibberish-like language based on the Japanese dialogue.", which must mean it's based on Japanese, so the grammar mustn't be far off from that either. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I hear, Japanese is flexible, you can structure a sentence anyway you want, but they're typically structured like "SOV" or "Subject object verb".

I'm not sure about Japanese's case, but maybe Phantomilian varies on verbs depending on subject or object, like in the romance languages...

If this is the case, for arguement's sake, then "Klo'a Pop Anahi" would be "Klonoa asks for Popka's identity", right?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:14:32 am by Cobra! »

Offline Artsy

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 06:08:14 pm »
"Laukudu" could be a way of saying "you, help me" or "you, help", because in Spanish (and perhaps other languages?) there are different conjugations for commands. Saying "Look" ("I look", "you look", vs "you, look at that") as a command in English doesn't change the word, but in Spanish it changes to a specific conjugation for commands ("Miras" vs "Mira").

Again, it could just be a part of the word "help", or adding "du" at the end of a verb in Phantomillian could make it a command word.

EDIT: I know it was already mentioned, but I wanted to bring it up that this form is used in real world languages to back the argument up
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:10:22 pm by Artsy »

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 06:45:28 pm »
Yeah, I believe it could be, but maybe, seeing that it's based on Japanese, or the Japanese dialgue of the games, "du" may simply be a sound made in the language, Japanese has only around 400 different sounds, as opposed to over 1000 with English, so we may be slicing up words we shouldn't.

Then again, we also have "Lakuto" which is the urgent form, so maybe it does mean something, maybe all verbs in the language are like this, and have different cases, I came up with a case of words based on different verbs I found, and tried to apply similar suffixes to them, and the words I found didn't match any of the vocabulary, which means I may be right.

Lakudu (Help me) = Normal form
Lakuhee = Alt. Normal form (Appears as such in the vocab list)
Lakutal = Formal form
Lakuto = Urgent Form (This DOES appear as such in the vocab lsit, which possibly sparked this theory in the first place)
Lakuyuu = Concerned Form (Maybe as in a Help-me-help-you kind of way?)

Rupurudu (Let's go) = Normal form? (Maybe not, as another list I've read above says this is a formal way)
Rupuruhee = Alt. Normal Form
Rupuruto = Urgent/exited form
Rupurutal = Formal form (or Rupurudu)
Rupuruto = Urgent/exited form
Rupuruyuu = Concerned Form (?)

Wahee (What) = Alt form
Wahtu = Normal form
Wahto = Urgent form
Wahtal = Formal form
Wahyuu = Concerned Form (This came up as "Whayuu: inquiry requesting condition (Phantomilian)")

Turuto = I need (to do something) = urgent form
Turatal = Formal
Turahee = Alt form
Turadu = Normal form
Turayuu = Concerned form

Baryupu (Dancing) = Normal form
Baryuto = Urgent form
Baryuhee = Alt. Form
Baryutal = Formal form
Baryuyuu = Concerned Form?

This is just a theory I have, I might just be trying to force myself to see a connection that may not be there, but I found none of these alternatives in any vocabulary list.

However, there is one word (or set of words) that may potentially break this theory. However, it isn't a verb, but an affirmative, so maybe they have their own set of forms, who knows?:

Jadoo (Affirmnative) = Formal
Padoo = Casual
Dupu = Shortened

What do youse think?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:58:00 pm by Cobra! »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 04:20:52 am »
This may be of a some help to you guys with Phantomillian It is a full Klonoa play through minus pretty much all the music. So hearing the voices is a good bit easier.

Offline Mr.KokoPudgeFudge

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • I'm a guy who thinks way too much
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2022, 10:40:57 pm »
Hi, new guy who found this here. Saw you wanted a list of words from the dictionary that are actually just Japanese. Lucky for you, I'm so much of a Japonic nerd I know what Ōgami Miyakoan is. Yes, I know this thread has been inactive for over 7 years, but whatever. Anyway, here's a list:

Jiji (Altered "Jiijii", which means the same thing in Japanese)
Baba
Orayo (Altered "Hora yo", which means the same thing in Japanese)
Ikuze
Choroi ze ("Choroi" isn't a word in Japanese, but "ze" is)
Konna monda ze
Morattoku ze (slightly different meaning in Japanese)
Ikeru ze
Temee (slightly different meaning in Japanese)
Rakusyo (slightly different meaning in Japanese)
Majikayo
Nani? (slightly different meaning in Japanese)
Yossya (Altered "Yoshi", which means the same thing in Japanese)
Ite! (Altered "Itte", which means the same thing in Japanese)
Sateto
Doita Doita (Altered "Doite Doite", which means the same thing in Japanese)
Korya Shitsurei
Ikuzo
Yarareta
Airan (might be from "Ai", which means the same thing in Japanese)

PS, please include IPA transcriptions next to your romanizations in the dictionary. Example:
Morattokuze [mo̞ɾätːo̞kɯ̟ᵝze̞] - I give up.

Offline Mr.KokoPudgeFudge

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • I'm a guy who thinks way too much
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2022, 10:42:24 pm »
Ah ****, second page jumpscare.