For each time you go to Idle Chatter, Lolo trips over an object.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Is the bad ending actually good?  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
Is the bad ending actually good?
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:06:32 pm »
SPOILERS AHEAD

If you've played Klonoa Heroes, you probably know that there's essentially two endings in the game. There's the main story ending (considered the "bad" one), and an extra one unlocked by going through some extra levels (the "good" one). In the first ending Klonoa sacrifices the power of his Star Medal in order to destroy Nahatomb once and for all, while the second has him regaining the Medal's power and gaining the title of a hero once more.

I wonder though, is the original ending actually the more positive of the two?

This mainly hinges around the origin of the Star Medals, which you find out were created by Nahatomb (who in this continuity was a former hero who became obsessed with the title and believed himself to be the only one worthy of it). From that alone you can imagine the Medals have a twisted sense of what heroism is, likely favoring power above good deeds. This is illustrated by both Garlen and Janga possessing their own Star Medals that are both at maximum rank. And yes, I realize Janga's was stolen from Guntz's father, but then shouldn't the medal have reacted to Janga's own "heroism" once it switched owners?

Throughout the game Klonoa himself is bombarded with these facts... and yet the power of his medal continues to grow, likely making him wonder if he's truly doing the right thing. Is he really doing heroic deeds, or is he merely setting himself down the path to becoming just like those who he fights against? From the beginning he was obsessed with becoming a hero, but he comes to realize that true heroism isn't some simple title and has no measurement. As such, he sacrifices those notions in order to do what's right, not caring who will or won't know of his deeds. I think that's far more heartwarming, and it has a good moral lesson behind it that isn't hammered in.

Now it could also be argued that his medal ranking up once more could be due to it learning what true heroism entails through being with Klonoa, but I just like the idea that he'd be content with doing good deeds even if he gains no recognition for it. Actually, it's rather meta in that way.

Oh well, what do all of you think?

Offline Aura24

• Goddess Claire
  • Dreamer Rating: 43
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:05:13 pm »
I think the ending suits how Klonoa's beliefs is more correct in the storyline.
Administrator, Founder, and Fan of Klonoa.
Game channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/CrystalBlazier/

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:40:49 pm »
Arrrgh, I would really love to play this game.

Offline Derpy Hooves

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: -53
  • Just a lurker
Re: Is the bad ending actually good?
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 12:03:06 pm »
The "bad ending" to me was a ironic ending and i found it to be fun. But it feels like the game led to nothing at the end.
Guess what... You're a Cutie