Moos are watching you ◉ω◉

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: AMD announces new Polaris architechture  (Read 1885 times)

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
AMD announces new Polaris architechture
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:02:28 am »
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9886/amd-reveals-polaris-gpu-architecture/3

We are proud to introduce our revolutionary 14nm FinFET Polaris GPU architecture, which promises more than double the performance per watt over previous generations.

I'm curious to see  how this will play out. I don't have any plans to upgrade my rig anytime soon (I just finished upgrading it last year with new GPU/CPU and the mobo year before). This does sound promising, especially if you pair this with the Zen processors that are supposedly coming around the corner too.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: AMD announces new Polaris architechture
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 01:53:06 pm »
It has h265 encodeing @ 4k. That alone has me really interested. Not counting new geometry engine that hopefully might fix the weird z fighting "background objects polygons jiggling into different positions I see on my R9 290 at times on some games.

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 03:57:06 pm »
It has h265 encodeing @ 4k. That alone has me really interested. Not counting new geometry engine that hopefully might fix the weird z fighting "background objects polygons jiggling into different positions I see on my R9 290 at times on some games.

Yeah but you'd probably have to upgrade your mobo to AM4/+ whenever those come out (I'm guessing when Zen drops) to probably make the most use of it.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:46:39 pm »
I'm definitely going for cpu first yeah. If I get a Zen I'll probably have to initially get a low tier one though so eh more waiting