All of our moderators have cybernetic implants. They watch over you as you sleep.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Forgotten Path  (Read 6156 times)

Offline realmwars

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
  • Director of future coming Klonoa Fan Movie.
Let's talk about the Forgotten Path
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:05:43 pm »
We all know the last level before fighting the King of Sorrow being the Forgotten Path.

The mysterious plea for help becomes more noticeable in this area of the game, and to which it turns out the plea for help was the King of Sorrow. However there was always something I found very weird about the level and it's mostly it's music track.

"Why do I hear children laughing in the music track?" I kept asking.

Now, I began thinking over and over about this and I think I found out something. Throughout the whole game it is noted that Sorrow is a forgotten emotion and the kingdom of Hyuponia is forgotten as well. That is until the 5th bell comes back to Lunatea during the game. All of this happened when Klonoa started hearing the pleas for help. Then the messages became clearer once reaching the Forgotten Path.

I mentioned the laughter in the music track before, and from what I gathered (and this is just a guess of mine) it sort of sounded like Klonoa and Heupoe playing together, laughing, and having a good time. Keep in mind also Klonoa seems to not have much recollection from the first game. No mention of Phantomile, no mention of Heupoe, Ghadius, Lephise, or even Nahatomb. So my theory is that the laughter in the music track is the memories of Klonoa and Heupoe playing together in Phantomile.It may seem like an extreme guess here, but it also helps to note that what else do you hear aside from children laughing? Another plea from the King of Sorrow at the end.

Let me know what you think.

Offline Vincentmrl

• Crazy Pianist
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Moo!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 06:24:46 pm »
The moments of the last levels, good times when i finally played these. The musics in these levels are full of secrets, you need to edit pitch, speed and even play backwards to find some, for example the backwards music in hyuponia at the beginning of the melody, is sad forest drums, the music from the  "dead forest" in Klonoa. We should make a thread or work here on finding all the secrets in the music, that means more theories :P

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 06:39:00 pm »
I always thought the laughter was from the Priestess girls who teased Lolo in the past... but the idea of it being Klonoa and Huepow laughing make sense too. o.o

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:51:14 pm »
It might be. I have a theory that Klonoa DOES remember the first game, he just dosen't mention anything about it. I,be seen a playthrough of the whole game on YouTube since I can't get it (don't have a PS2) and if there is one part of the Forgotten Path that I KNOW is hard, it's the narrow passage.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:55:18 pm by Windbullet »
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline realmwars

• Heart Moo
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:58:32 pm »
I think this is why I love Klonoa 2 so much. The story, characters, and lore is so much more complex than the first game. It really does make you think about the world that's going on and the more things begin to make sense the more the world of Lunatea becomes interesting.

Offline AlphaRed9X

• Stand User
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • is Mayonnaise a Klonoa?
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 09:46:34 pm »
Quote from: "ka64"
I always thought the laughter was from the Priestess girls who teased Lolo in the past... but the idea of it being Klonoa and Huepow laughing make sense too. o.o
My words exactly o.O
It a me

Offline realmwars

• Heart Moo
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:55:34 pm »
Quote from: "AlphaRed9X"
Quote from: "ka64"
My words exactly o.O
and honestly it makes me sad knowing how horrible received the series has been. Sure majority of the games are marketed towards kids but they're kids games with very beautiful writing. The creators behind the series really put their hearts into it and gave people a game that not only was loaded with charm but genius structure.

It really is sad that out of most of Namco's forgotten characters Klonoa is the one often times given the short end of the stick. If they were to have a kick starter for a Klonoa 2 remake I would so support it.

Offline Tails' Fake Rings

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 01:00:51 am »
I also believe that the laughing was from the priestesses that harassed Lolo in her flashback, when the group reached the end of the Maze of Memories. It surely would've brought her sorrow, so it's possible that the laughing was a way to demoralize their efforts. Of course, all of this is speculation.

As for the Forgotten Path itself, it's possible that it's the path that the Hyuponians, or at least the resident of Hyuponia, traveled in order to enter or leave the kingdom. Because Hyuponia, and as a whole, the entire emotion of Sorrow was forgotten, that is why it is referred to as such.

To be slightly off-topic: I too noticed that not one throwback or reference was made to Door to Phantomile in the entirety of Lunatea's Veil, aside from the musical segments in the track Hyuponia - Ruins of Sadness. Why the Maze of Memories was not utilized for such, I'm not sure, but it was definitely wasted potential.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:03:48 am by Fake Ring »

Offline Vincentmrl

• Crazy Pianist
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Moo!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 01:20:15 am »
Hmm you could take it like if the more the story advanced and the more sorrow Klonoa has, that's probably why he starts hearing things (music) in the last levels.

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Not a fan of Sonic/Pokemon
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 04:47:13 am »
Off-topic things:
I do feel that Lunatea's Veil is a game for those who played Door to Phantomile. The first game made many Japanese children cried in beds at night. So the creators might think it's their responsibility to help the children overcome sadness. Although the stories seems to be nothing to do with each other, the musics surely say the otherwise.
Klonoa did want to introduce himself when he awoke at the Tear Sea, but got interrupted in the beginning.
Quote from: "realmwars"
and honestly it makes me sad knowing how horrible received the series has been. Sure majority of the games are marketed towards kids but they're kids games with very beautiful writing. The creators behind the series really put their hearts into it and gave people a game that not only was loaded with charm but genius structure.

It really is sad that out of most of Namco's forgotten characters Klonoa is the one often times given the short end of the stick. If they were to have a kick starter for a Klonoa 2 remake I would so support it.
Horrible received? Not in Japan, where he was born. Klonoa's still famous there. I guess the localization teams are to blame.
Marketed towards kids? I thought DtP and LsV are both genuinely All-ages games. While children may be charmed by the fantasy worlds presented, grown-ups may find the games are filled with secrets and rich implications. Blame everyone who worked in marketing department at USA Namco(It's Bamco now) and treated the Klonoa series as "something for kids".
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:56:54 am by RollingMeowcat »
My favorite animes:

More to come