There is a new Klonoa Fan Magazine out. Come see here. https://forums.untamedheart.us/?page=zine

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: What got you into Klonoa in the first place  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Alexis The Dreamful

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
  • Fangame Developer, Artist and Lunatic
What got you into Klonoa in the first place
« on: August 17, 2021, 03:33:55 pm »
Title says it all really
Originally when I was younger I remember seeing the Wii Version on Gamestop but just never ordered it, I know for sure if I did find out about it I would've been a bigger weirdo than I already am now  :big_smile:
But around 2018 or so my friend told me about the game and I ended up emulating it and playing the heck out of it and just getting genuinely obsessed and then depressed at how little there was for Klonoa and how no one really talks about it with how obscure it is.  :(

Offline Caos

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
Re: What got you into Klonoa in the first place
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 09:26:21 pm »
My introduction to Klonoa was when my father brought a "reproduction CD" of it for me and my brother. At first I was frustrated that his projectile didn't go far (having played Megaman before). But despite this initial frustration the game grew on me and I ended up loving it. The CD my father brought crashed after the battle with Seadoph... so we got another "reproduction CD" that allowed me to play the game through the end.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
And that was my beginning with the series.

• Moo
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 11:35:10 pm »
My introduction to Klonoa was when my father brought a "reproduction CD" of it for me and my brother. At first I was frustrated that his projectile didn't go far (having played Megaman before). But despite this initial frustration the game grew on me and I ended up loving it. The CD my father brought crashed after the battle with Seadoph... so we got another "reproduction CD" that allowed me to play the game through the end.
And that was my beginning with the series.
Oh yeah that reminds me I've seen some of those "reproduction cds" online or more specifically etsy could probably try looking into one of them but I still really want to get my hands on a hard copy of the game

Offline RicAlbuquerque

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 09:27:58 pm »
Back in 2015 ZonicTHedgehog started a let's play of the Wiimake. At first, I thought it would be just another of those mediocre obscure games, but I was immediately caught by the game's charm and surprisingly deep plot. Also, am I the only one who prefers Klonoa's english voice and overall teenage personality in the Wiimake over the original voice and child-like personality from the PS1?
Awaiting the return of our lord and savior Pac-Man

Offline HylianBran

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
  • Glover vs Klonoa Beach Volleyball: Dawn of Racism
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 01:28:05 am »
Back in 2015 ZonicTHedgehog started a let's play of the Wiimake. At first, I thought it would be just another of those mediocre obscure games, but I was immediately caught by the game's charm and surprisingly deep plot. Also, am I the only one who prefers Klonoa's english voice and overall teenage personality in the Wiimake over the original voice and child-like personality from the PS1?
Yes, it is just you. That voice is as grading as it possibly could be and the fact that Namco put that in the game and expected this to revitalize the series is offensive. I have no idea how anyone could like that. It is just obnoxious. Klonoa's remake voice is funny to me because every other voice in the remake is close to the original to a fault. Obviously I'd rather that than them go buck wild, but the voices were still made with the original cute fictional language in mind, so hearing them in English only comes across as annoying and pandering. Also I have no idea what you mean by "teenage personality." They only thing changed is a few translational differences, the voice, and the character being less expressive, which doesn't come across (to me at least) as a change in the character's demeanor based off of age but instead laziness on behalf of the developers for not putting in the legwork to make good animation. That's always come across as very strange because characters are very expressive in Klonoa 2.
Backloggd: https://www.backloggd.com/u/HylianBran/

crazy crazy graveyard theory
ghost tried to approach me
got leery

• Moo
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 09:24:59 am »
I can kinda get behind old sounding klonoa but it's just weird when Klonoa speaks full english vocally At least from what I remember seeing

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 02:53:00 pm »
I first saw Klonoa when I was 5 or 6.
My mom, brother and I were at our local Blockbuster (forever missed), and I ended up getting Klonoa 2 from one of the shelves thinking it was a rental but it turned out to be an actual game for purchase.

Lost the case, but still have the same disc from all those years ago and in spite of some light scratches on the back it runs flawlessly.
"Wahii, rupurudu!" = "Okay, let's go!"

• Moo
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 07:59:21 pm »
I first saw Klonoa when I was 5 or 6.
My mom, brother and I were at our local Blockbuster (forever missed), and I ended up getting Klonoa 2 from one of the shelves thinking it was a rental but it turned out to be an actual game for purchase.

Lost the case, but still have the same disc from all those years ago and in spite of some light scratches on the back it runs flawlessly.
I got my copy of klonoa 2 at a convention, I made an audible gasp when I saw it.

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 12:46:20 am »
This issue of Gamepro...

... had this ad in it.

8 year old me was about to get herself a PS2 just for this game. Life changing in the best way.  :hey:

Offline HylianBran

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
  • Glover vs Klonoa Beach Volleyball: Dawn of Racism
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 09:55:02 pm »
This issue of Gamepro...
(Image removed from quote.)
... had this ad in it.
(Image removed from quote.)
8 year old me was about to get herself a PS2 just for this game. Life changing in the best way.  :hey:
Forget Klonoa 2, they got Fire Pro Wrestling!
Backloggd: https://www.backloggd.com/u/HylianBran/

crazy crazy graveyard theory
ghost tried to approach me
got leery