Vincentmrl's Mac can make origami out of hamburga french fry. Don't ask how.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Now I question the credibility of video game reviews  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
Now I question the credibility of video game reviews
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:03:01 am »
I got the demo for Sonic Lost World on Wii U and, apparently, a common critisicm with the critics is "the game doesn't have a tutorial". YES IT DOES. When the question mark thing appears, tap the question mark on the game pad and the game will tell you what you need to know on the game pad.
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline Dish

• Gone with the Wind
  • Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Hi! I'm Dish!
Re: Now I question the credibility of video game reviews
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:07:24 am »
The one thing I didn't understand is why they put the question things on the touchscreen rather than in the level like they did in Sonic Colors. It seemed a lot better that way.

Offline SurrealBrain

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 13
  • Goody goody!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 01:26:38 pm »
If you ask me, I've been questioning reviews for years. Of course, to me, the things they complain about are minor annoyances at worst if not outright made up.

I liked Nintendo Power because they tended to have legitimate points, but they've been gone for more than two years now. Now I can't find a favorite.

Thanks to FRAYKER for the signature! :)

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 03:39:17 pm »
...Of all the issues the game has, THAT'S the one you take note of?...okay, then. I know, it's because people said it wasn't there. Well, think about it: if the reviewers knew there was a tutorial, would it REALLY have affected the game's average score? No. Because it's still crap, with or without a review. Pretty much the same exact thing happened with a Nintendo Power review: there was a review for Super Monkey Ball Adventures stating that you couldn't skip text, and were forced to listen to the other monkey's slow, slow, sloooow speeches to start a quest every time you died while trying to finish a quest. You COULD skip text in this game (I should know, I've played the (perhaps literally) damned this), though, and one reader brought this fact up. Their response? Even IF the reviewer knew how to skip dialogue, it wouldn'tve affected their review score, because the game still had SO MANY OTHER FAULTS (broken checkpoints, unbalanced difficulty, annoying as hell sidequests, MODERATELY MORE ANNOYING AS HELL BALLOON GATHERING SIDEQUESTS, the list goes on), that it wouldn't have changed their average score (of 5.0, if you were curious) regardless. And speaking of Nintendo Power...
If you ask me, I've been questioning reviews for years. Of course, to me, the things they complain about are minor annoyances at worst if not outright made up.

I liked Nintendo Power because they tended to have legitimate points, but they've been gone for more than two years now. Now I can't find a favorite.

I really miss Nintendo Power. It's been pretty much the only source I use to measure how good a game is. Sure, there's been blunders (mostly the fact that it had me hyped up for that awful, awful, AWFUL Monkey Ball game, and deluded into making me thing Super Monkey Ball Wii would actually redeem it...and while it's "ok", that game it not without its faults, either...and this is saying nothing of their questionably-high "9.0" review of Star Fox Command...Yeah, I don't get it, either), but they've been such a huge help for helping me decide what to buy in the past, and I love them for it. And now that they're gone, well...it's hard to move on, ya know?

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline Trix Master

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
  • I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 02:24:33 am »
Yeah. I question about 75% of the reviewers, because they seem to make a lot of things up and exploit them. That and last I heard IGN was rather untrustworthy or considerably toxic. Between you and me, I think half of the game reviews are fishy anyways.
Yes I am magical yogurt. No I am not meant for kids.

Offline Chocolat

• Magical Grill
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 8
  • My style is rich, dope, phat in which
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 03:18:22 am »
Only now do you not trust reviewers? They've been known to be spouting rubbish for a long time. Every single JRPG review from a mainstream place has been LOL THEY'RE ALL OUTDATED 0/10 XDDDDDDDD and it's not just IGN (Off the top of my head, Kokatu, Gamespot and Destructoid are really bad, and for magazines I would not touch Edge or GamesTM with a 10 foot pole).

The only good place to get news was Ngamer, which died a few years ago and most of their staff went on to significantly improve Official Nintendo Magazine, which is now also dead. The Nintendo magazines were particularly good as they rarely did that annoying THE OTHER COMPANIES ARE **** stuff and they usually wrote something funny when they came across a particularly weird bit of shovelware.
Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her, you are not alone.

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 03:57:38 pm »
Found this on a board on SEGAbits. Wether or not you believe it is up to you, but I find it to be an interesting read. http://vgrhq.com/exclusive-critics-admit-to-lowering-scores-for-attention/
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 05:25:08 pm »
I'd believe it mostly because during just a small part time job I was asked to make something look nice for a higher chance of selling and not worry about it if is in working order or not. Honesty is very sadly a sparse and hard thing to find.

Offline CacmanZero

• Moo
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 56
  • Moo's Dreams
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 03:06:44 am »
Klonoa 1 PSone (Wii remake) someone review:

Klonoa 2 PlayStation 2 someone review: