We're partners with the Klonoa for Smash Bros. Facebook page! Be sure to give them a visit!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Google Cardboard and other cheap 3d VR visors  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Vincentmrl

• Crazy Pianist
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Moo!
Google Cardboard and other cheap 3d VR visors
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:37:47 pm »
Hey guys, recently I built a test Google Cardboard for my iPhone 4S (keep in mind that the screen is a 960x640 3:2 3,5" screen) to test if I can do something like a game for it, and I'm really amazed by the result of a simple cardboard box with a divider put between the screen to divide each side to have a 3D effect even though it's a bit blurry without the magnifying lenses it normally comes with. I should try one of the Klonoa games in VR mode to check how good they would look with depth perception, also I even tried Touhou games for the lols and somehow I managed to avoid bullets even though it was a bit confusing due to the blurriness. I'm also trying to make the gyroscope info work on games that support trackir and other things, because there's a program for iOs (gagagu VR Streamer) that can be used in combo with opentrack to do things and I would really like to play games like driving sims in a full 3d immersion (which looks like a 4:3 thing lol).

Does any of you own a Cardboard or similar like the Durovis Dive and anything that is a visor with lens where you put your phone in?

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: Google Cardboard and other cheap 3d VR visors
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »
I don't have a compatible size tablet or phone but I didn't know it was such a designed think already .___. kinda interesting if only had I more of a correct setup or screen for it.

Offline Vincentmrl

• Crazy Pianist
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Moo!
Re: Google Cardboard and other cheap 3d VR visors
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 09:16:33 pm »
incompatibility doesn't exist, some people even built homemade visors with 7" screen tablets with homemade motion sensing and also freetrack with a marker put on the front of the device to use te camera and also have positional sensors together with rotation. I think that the oculus exists only because not everyone wants to build their visor and also because oculus support for many games is basically plug and play. I am still amazed by the speed this technology is becoming this affordable to get.