We have a Twitter account! Be sure to follow us for up to the minute updates! https://twitter.com/KloCollective

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Issues with the name "Phantomile"  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Enchlore

• Working Man
  • Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • If this be my destiny...!
Issues with the name "Phantomile"
« on: April 26, 2016, 03:15:04 pm »
I'm in an up-and-coming prog rock band right now and after many attempts at settling for a name we went for "Phantomile" (evidently because of Klonoa), because of how abstract and good sounding it is, and because the dream land name kind of fits nicely with the direction our sound and lyrical content are going to right now.

However, since then I've been concerned with the possibilities of Namco deciding to take legal action against us. I know they've been somewhat agressive with people using Pac-Man's likeness and things like that, so I wondered if naming our band Phantomile might be a bad idea in the long run - if we keep the name until we gather some following and then get forced to change it, it might hurt us a bit (like how the name Majesty was getting some buzz until that band had to change their name to Dream Theater for legal reasons).

So, do you think Namco would force us to drop the name? The other band members have been pretty reluctant to let go of it and I'm not sure what to do.

Offline mnstrmthd

• Cursed
  • Dreamer Rating: 32
  • inactive
Re: Issues with the name "Phantomile"
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 05:04:00 pm »
Mmm, I'm really not sure. I don't know how aggressive Namco is with Klonoa as opposed to Pac-Man.
I doubt they'd respond but have you tried emailing them about it?

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 05:36:43 pm »
Could do a re spelling but with the same sound. I have no idea how thorough companies get with that stuff.
I can only imagine getting sued over it would be a massive headache but I'm often over cautious about things.

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 06:26:22 pm »
I recommend asking Namco if they have any claims to the name. Secondly ask any friends or bands if they have a lawyer who could answer such a simple question. If Namco does not have claim try to get that statement in writing. I've witnessed too much s**t happen to good people because the deal was verbal and not in writing.

Ultimately I doubt any company would press charges; it would be settled out of court to save expenses...I highly recommend solidifying the name through law before selling product. Once you lay claim to a name anybody has 3-4 weeks depending on the system to argue against. After that idle period you can do whatever you want under that name...then come the taxes, Yeah California small business woes! (small biz taxes aren't that bad...unless you hire employees then just hire someone else to do them and save yourself the headache)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:28:49 pm by confuted »

Offline Rainoa

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
  • Ahrai!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 06:13:23 am »
Fantomile, problem solved.
Sable is AWESOME.

Offline Dimitri

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
  • I have absolutely nothing special to put here.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 12:43:56 pm »
Fantomile, problem solved.
Fantomile just seems off. Besides, that's only a change of one letter. If you're going to make a phonetical change like that, it should probably be something bigger.

All in all, I think Confuted has the best idea.
I registered in 2015 as part of a roleplaying game and proceeded to never do anything of importance. Oops?

Offline CacmanZero

• Moo
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 56
  • Moo's Dreams
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 10:53:52 am »
Fantomas ghost alien.