Huepow is the real villian in Door to Phantomile.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Klonoa Heroes Design Processes and CM Storyboard  (Read 8572 times)

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
Klonoa Heroes Design Processes and CM Storyboard
« on: October 15, 2016, 02:54:30 am »
Starting from this page ( http://bandainamcoent.co.jp/cs/list/kloweb/relyes01.html ), a ton of information can be dug up about the design processes of Klonoa Heroes's characters. Here I'll be posting the pictures that seem to never have been brought up on this forum before.

Guntz went through quite a few drastic design changes, going from being much more feminine to the gruffy type we know now:

Next are Pango's old designs:

Dropped Moos, a potato sack enemy(?) and some ground-dwelling creature:

EDIT: I forgot to add the concept image used for creating the level format x_x

What's interesting here is that one of Guntz's design's silhouette is used here along with an unknown character in the bottom right.

Lastly are some really neat storyboard sheets for the game's commercial. I'll be putting them under a spoiler for the sake of space:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 03:01:18 am by LazerSunfish »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: Klonoa Heroes Design Processes and CM Storyboard
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 06:51:46 am »
Damn..  Klonoa Heroes would be really nice in if it was in a new format while still 2D

Also ground dwellers guys exist ガザロウ/Gazarou. They are just sparse in game.

Kind of makes me wonder if there is any cut content in the game though :o.
I wish they had used this Guntz
as well that one red one but it's awfully similar to the first except fur color.

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 02:48:56 pm »
Damn..  Klonoa Heroes would be really nice in if it was in a new format while still 2D

Also ground dwellers guys exist ガザロウ/Gazarou. They are just sparse in game.
(Image removed from quote.)

Kind of makes me wonder if there is any cut content in the game though :o.
I wish they had used this Guntz (Image removed from quote.)
as well that one red one but it's awfully similar to the first except fur color.

Ohh okay -v-;  I couldn't remember those guys being anywhere. Thanks~ and yes that Guntz is way cuter there.
It'd be neat if someone could dig into the game for some dumped assets. RPGs usually hold quite a bit.

Offline Mobotropolis

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 07:53:10 pm »
Guntz's final design isn't feminine? Haha.

I remember looking at stuff from the guidebook a few years ago.

Since I feel like the game we got in Heroes might've been very different than what was planned it'd be nice if we could translate the guidebook one day.

I didn't notice the player-swap icons in the bottom right of the concept image before, though. I thought that Guntz was eventually what happened to the female concept but that's not the case. Looks like that character eventually became Pango. From the concepts above it looks like the panda-girl's image reversed.

I think Pango was also a wolf at some point in his development.

The lizard looks like some portions eventually became Guntz and some Suiryu. Mainly the shape of the fins.

The sack enemy looks like it might've been an early version of the common enemy that mimics a treasure chest.

The purple enemies start appearing in the Moon-world. I don't remember them moving/walking around, though.

Another thing I wonder ... is if Guntz was supposed to be younger than Klonoa at some point.

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 10:12:18 pm »
I didn't notice the player-swap icons in the bottom right of the concept image before, though. I thought that Guntz was eventually what happened to the female concept but that's not the case. Looks like that character eventually became Pango. From the concepts above it looks like the panda-girl's image reversed.

I think Pango was also a wolf at some point in his development.

Figured out who the green silhouette is. It's the green fellow shown in the guidebook (thanks to ka64's scan collection).

And you're right about the wolf Pango.

Offline Fennekin

• Fennekin Lover
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
  • Please sit, and let's talk for a while.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 12:14:51 am »
i love you, keep finding gems like these
Also, who do you think the green guy is?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 12:16:27 am by Fennekin »

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 03:34:21 am »
i love you, keep finding gems like these
Also, who do you think the green guy is?
np homie ;)
I believe the green guy would've been some sort of necromancer or spell-caster, going by the wispy ghost thing around his hand. They definitely passed down a lot of the design's characteristics to the green Pango shown in the other page.
The text that's with the Guntz page might explain who or what the green dude is but I can't read Japanese -o-;  Here's the link to the full page on ka64's Photobucket if anyone wants to try translating it http://s605.photobucket.com/user/mushroom32x/media/Klonoa/Klonoa%20Heroes%20guidebook/kloheroes0118.jpg.html
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 03:36:59 am by LazerSunfish »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 04:28:59 pm »
np homie ;)
I believe the green guy would've been some sort of necromancer or spell-caster, going by the wispy ghost thing around his hand. They definitely passed down a lot of the design's characteristics to the green Pango shown in the other page.
The text that's with the Guntz page might explain who or what the green dude is but I can't read Japanese -o-;  Here's the link to the full page on ka64's Photobucket if anyone wants to try translating it http://s605.photobucket.com/user/mushroom32x/media/Klonoa/Klonoa%20Heroes%20guidebook/kloheroes0118.jpg.html

I believe the green guy would've been some sort of necromancer or spell-caster,
WHY CAN'T WE HAVE THIS CHARACTER D:
You reminded me of my necromancer days on diablo 2

Also this is going to be realllly hard or impossible for me to translate because oh hell kanji and the image size is small  x_x too small to read the furigana and make out complex shapes

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 06:16:26 pm »

My scanner is just not capable of getting those teeny tiny characters visible... so I hurt my neck squinting at the book and writing each of them the best I could. I hope this helps!  :sick:

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 09:16:28 am »
(Image removed from quote.)
My scanner is just not capable of getting those teeny tiny characters visible... so I hurt my neck squinting at the book and writing each of them the best I could. I hope this helps!  :sick:
Maybe it'll give better results if you choose grayscale/text mode on the scanner settings, if they are available.