Untamed Heart: Enough dream stones to run a sleep clinic!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Pacifist Run Concept  (Read 1088 times)

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
Pacifist Run Concept
« on: March 05, 2021, 12:20:01 am »
The idea came to me a few days ago when I was playing a demo of DtP on the bonus disc of Ridge Racer Type 4.

Basically, the idea of a Pacifist/Ringless run is to avoid using Klonoa's ring where possible.
Of course there are unavoidable instances, namely boss fights, so I guess the goal there would be to use the least amount of enemies possible.

For the first game the prospect seems a bit challenging.
At the moment, the majority of the game is kind of a blur, but on paper it shouldn't be impossible by any stretch.

Popka's extra boost could be used to substitute double jumping with an enemy in some spots as far as Klonoa 2 goes.

What are your thoughts on this?
"Wahii, rupurudu!" = "Okay, let's go!"

Offline HylianBran

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
  • Glover vs Klonoa Beach Volleyball: Dawn of Racism
Re: Pacifist Run Concept
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 05:03:10 pm »
Dunno about anyone else, but this honestly sounds... kinda boring. Pacifist runs in other, more mechanically complex games are engaging because it forces players to utilize the mechanics in a completely different way, but Klonoa's mechanics and moment-to-moment gameplay completely relies on enemies. All you have is "should I grab the enemy," "which enemy should I grab," "should I throw the enemy," or "should I double-jump with the enemy?" That is what the entire game relies on, and that's what makes Klonoa so addictive. That's why despite not having many puzzles, Klonoa still manages to feel like a puzzle-platformer. Obviously, there is skill required to implement these skills, and there is also much more to add to the moment-to-moment gameplay with clever enemy placements, actual puzzles, and different stage obstacles like switches, but all that really goes to show how much removing this one mechanic will take away from this game.
Backloggd: https://www.backloggd.com/u/HylianBran/

crazy crazy graveyard theory
ghost tried to approach me
got leery

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 11:08:02 pm »
Dunno about anyone else, but this honestly sounds... kinda boring. Pacifist runs in other, more mechanically complex games are engaging because it forces players to utilize the mechanics in a completely different way, but Klonoa's mechanics and moment-to-moment gameplay completely relies on enemies. All you have is "should I grab the enemy," "which enemy should I grab," "should I throw the enemy," or "should I double-jump with the enemy?" That is what the entire game relies on, and that's what makes Klonoa so addictive. That's why despite not having many puzzles, Klonoa still manages to feel like a puzzle-platformer. Obviously, there is skill required to implement these skills, and there is also much more to add to the moment-to-moment gameplay with clever enemy placements, actual puzzles, and different stage obstacles like switches, but all that really goes to show how much removing this one mechanic will take away from this game.

I disagree; getting around level obstacles with limited use of Klonoa's ring, at least to me, could provide a fair bit of challenge. You're still trying to solve the same puzzles, but one of the core aspects of solving them has been restricted; thereby forcing you to find alternative means (where available) to get through.
"Wahii, rupurudu!" = "Okay, let's go!"

Offline HylianBran

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
  • Glover vs Klonoa Beach Volleyball: Dawn of Racism
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 12:41:30 pm »
Eh, er. Whatever. Agree to disagree. I think this would be significantly easier in the remake with that otherwise useless tornado move.
Backloggd: https://www.backloggd.com/u/HylianBran/

crazy crazy graveyard theory
ghost tried to approach me
got leery

Offline ThatGuy70 (Mikey)

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 13
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 10:10:58 am »
I could see this being fun! Sure, there are plenty of times where you have to use an enemy to solve a puzzle, such as the yellow crystal fish thingys and blue lighting... thingys, but maybe there should be some kind of rule that those special non-Moo enemies can only be captured once. Hmm.. maybe I could try this on my ps2. I bet someone could even try doing this pacifist run while 100% the game for an added challenge!