No one is safe from Dar's pranks every April Fool's Day. >:3

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: The problem with Klonoa Encore  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Drisaac

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
The problem with Klonoa Encore
« on: May 26, 2020, 06:55:47 am »
8 months have passed since the registration of the klonoa encore trademark, and so far we still don't have any concrete news about Klonoa Encore.

But in this thread i wanted to tackle a different issue, which regards Klonoa Encore's success and the future of Klonoa as well.

And said issue is:

In our current conditions, Klonoa Encore cannot be a successful release

And the reason why i believe so is mainly because of 2 factors:

1) We, as a community, are not ready for Klonoa Encore, the size of Klonoa's fanbase is still not big enough to sustain a franchise, i'm 100% sure that if Klonoa encore were to release right now it would be destined to fail because there are simply not enough people who would be buying the game.

What i also know is that one day, eventually, we will have to get out from our cult-like size and ascend to something bigger, way bigger than now.

The klonoa fanbase needs to grow up, both in size and in the mentality.
And i want to clarify, the expansion of our fanbase is something that needs to happen organically, attempting to force things out never turns out too well, so please abstain yourself from contacting and/or harassing any type of entity that you believe could help us, harassment will get us nowhere.

The only way we can expand ourselves is doing the same exact thing we have been doing for the past years, show our love for this franchise.

2) the seconds problem, and this is a big one, has to do with Bandai Namco themselves, and that problem is:

Judging by how they have been handling Mr driller's marketing so far, it seems that they haven't learned their lesson during the wii days

Go on BN's official twitter and count the number of posts about Mr Driller.
Don't worry, i already did that job for you: they have been posting only 2 tweets about him in the month of May.

This is a huge issue and i'm pretty sure you already know why, if this is the type of marketing they have given for mr driller then i'm not too hopeful that Klonoa will be given a better one, which means that we could potentially see another wiimake tragedy due to lack of proper marketing from BN.

It really seems that Bamco didn't learn their lesson when the wiimake happened, and it seems very likely that they are on their path to commit the same mistake again.

I don't mean to sound rude towards BN, however i'am very judgemental of their marketing capabilities.

Which is exactly the reason why i want to say:

Keep an eye on bandai namco, as they might need a helping hand from us to advertise Klonoa Encore to the public.

And there you have it, this are the 2 issues which i believe stand in the way of Klonoa Encore from being a successful release.

-Our community is still too small to ensure to a proper successful release when Klonoa Encore comes out
-Bandai Namco doesn't seem to have improved their marketing skills.

I do not know what should be the solutions to these problems, but i know we will have to find a way to pull through for the future of Klonoa.

What do you think about this topic ? Are we setting ourselves up for another Wiimake tragedy ? Or you think there's way we can fix both of these issues ?

Offline HylianBran

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
  • Glover vs Klonoa Beach Volleyball: Dawn of Racism
Re: The problem with Klonoa Encore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 04:26:22 pm »
Bully, you've made me depressed. I HATE YOU :very_angry: 

Actually tho you make a good point. It's just kinda sad.
Backloggd: https://www.backloggd.com/u/HylianBran/

crazy crazy graveyard theory
ghost tried to approach me
got leery

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 07:13:06 pm »
Counterpoint: Katamari ReRoll only had 2 tweets till around November the year it was out.
https://twitter.com/search?f=live&q=Katamari%20Damacy%20(from%3ABandaiNamcoUS)&src=typed_query
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline RicAlbuquerque

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 08:02:52 pm »
How do you think us, as a fanbase, can show our love and support to Klonoa, thus making it more known and popular?
Awaiting the return of our lord and savior Pac-Man

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:03:20 pm »
1) A fanbase is not responsible for anything; the fanbase is an ecosystem that needs nourishment from the franchise; a fanbase can recycle and build from a franchise but can't be responsible for how a company handles a franchise.

2) it's sad to hear the marketing has not improved
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:19:28 pm by confuted »

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:56:43 pm »
As said before the fanbase has nothing to do with this nor is Bamco even bothering to cater to it in the first place. That part shouldn't be the problem.

I do agree that the marketing has been total garbo regarding these releases, though. Doesn't help that these past two games have been exclusively Japanese (though that puzzle one has a reason to be). lol lol lol I take it back, forgot Drill Land has an upcoming EU release. The current management there prioritizes anime video games which is probably why we're not hearing too much about what's up and coming. They make the most money anyway.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:00:32 pm by Meguumin »

Offline Drisaac

• Moo
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 03:41:22 am »
Counterpoint: Katamari ReRoll only had 2 tweets till around November the year it was out.
https://twitter.com/search?f=live&q=Katamari%20Damacy%20(from%3ABandaiNamcoUS)&src=typed_query

Fair point.

If Bamco believes that Mr driller can succeed even with only 2 twitter posts just like katamari did then i it'd fine for me, whatever floats bamco's boat.

How do you think us, as a fanbase, can show our love and support to Klonoa, thus making it more known and popular?

i'm not sure if i already answered this question in the OP but i'll repeat it again: by doing fan arts, fan remixes, videos about klonoa, fan games, fan projects etc.

As said before the fanbase has nothing to do with this nor is Bamco even bothering to cater to it in the first place. That part shouldn't be the problem.

I do agree that the marketing has been total garbo regarding these releases, though. Doesn't help that these past two games have been exclusively Japanese (though that puzzle one has a reason to be). lol lol lol I take it back, forgot Drill Land has an upcoming EU release. The current management there prioritizes anime video games which is probably why we're not hearing too much about what's up and coming. They make the most money anyway.

Unfortunately this is a sad truth, Bamco cares more about their anime licenses than their original IPs, and i can't blame them either, that's how they make most of their money anyway, which is exactly one of the reasons why anime games from BN gets so much hatred because some people are getting tired of them, and i do also fear that MAYBE people are going to start to experience burnout from all these anime games.

Bamco is not giving us attention, it's clear that they have bigger fishes to fry and i'm not sure whether we should remind that there's a demand for the dream traveler or keep it quiet and have faith in bamco that they will eventually make Klonoa Encore.

Offline RicAlbuquerque

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 05:07:51 pm »
I might know a way we can help Klonoa: we could spread the word about Dream Crusaders. Despite Dream Traveler of Noctis Sol being a fairly well-received comic, its return hasn't gotten attention from a lot of people from what I've gathered. In fact, I only heard of it because of an email from the forum.

My suggestion: post chapter 1 of the comic on youtube (with the author's permission, of course).   
Awaiting the return of our lord and savior Pac-Man

Offline Drisaac

• Moo
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 05:43:36 pm »
I might know a way we can help Klonoa: we could spread the word about Dream Crusaders. Despite Dream Traveler of Noctis Sol being a fairly well-received comic, its return hasn't gotten attention from a lot of people from what I've gathered. In fact, I only heard of it because of an email from the forum.

My suggestion: post chapter 1 of the comic on youtube (with the author's permission, of course).

Assuming you get the permission from the creator of dream crusaders to upload his webcomic on youtube (maybe with a fandub) then i don't see any issue with it, could be a fun idea  :)

Offline IsmaDLR

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 12:40:54 pm »
Even with their anime licensed games, Bandai Namco's marketing leaves a lot to be desired. And it's a shame, becuase if Bandai Namco really wants to sell a game, they can do it without any problems, and that's the thing Klonoa would need the most.

I do hope that when it comes out it actually sells. The fans really want a new Klonoa game AND there might be curious people about this franchise they can fall in love with. But launching a new game and hoping it replicates the surprise success of the original is not the solution, but a gamble.

My memory is not that great, but I remember being very optimistic about Klonoa Encore being a reality. I still feel optimistic, but I think this release could wait until 2021, hoping that this year can be one that makes this franchise more well-known and liked. Considering we don't know how many sales Klonoa Encore should make to guarantee we will get another game or product or if this is only a one-off, we can only hope for the best when the moment arrives.