You can't hate Popka. He's a jerk with a heart of gold.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Klonoa 3D  (Read 1651 times)

Offline HaggisD1

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
  • Guy with a weird taste
Klonoa 3D
« on: September 23, 2023, 01:11:36 pm »
Since i started playing Klonoa, one certain thing is stuck in my head Klonoa 3D.

I constantly have Visions of Klonoa running trough a grenn field full of Moos and that he jumps to a floating islnd, by grabing multiple flying Moos.

I was thinking on some kind of mod or romhack for Super Mario 64.
But i can't programm or model anything. :(

I'm not sure what would be the best way of designing a 3D platformer.
I mean I'm not sure how to end those levels, or how to enter new ones.

Should there be a hubworld or a map?
Is there a point where the level ends or multiple things to collect?
Should this game be linear or open? (Not openworld ofcourse)

I can imagine what the game looks like and how Klonoa gets controlled. But i can't see what an entire actual level looks like.

What do you guys would think of a Klonoa 3D platformer?
Would it be a waste of time, or would it hold up to Klonoa 1 & 2?

Let me know.

Offline rapappa the pepper

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 16
  • I do want a soulmate.
    • Rapappa The Pepper's Neo Cities
Re: Klonoa 3D
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 01:16:02 pm »
I was actually before working on Klonoa Whispers of Wind making entirely on my own a 3D Klonoa total conversion game for GZDoom, all with 3D models and high qualtiy stuff, like, a X360 game despite being on GZDoom, i made a proof of concept, and a few models (and they look better than PRS'), but i never went far.

No plans of coming back, i think, there is a SM64 mod that replaces Mario with either DtP Klonoa or L'sV Klonoa, but, that's pretty much all it does, it is not a 3D Klonoa game like how i was doing, and there was an old GZDoom 3D Klonoa mod, but that one was cursed and, not really a Klonoa game like, a total conversion, it was just, Chex Quest, but with the Klonoa ring. There is one thet gets the closest tho, it's for Sonic Adventure DX, Cobradile once showed to me, and, yeah, it plays more like Klonoa, i think SM64 with Klonoa mechanics would be against 100% the design philosophies of Klonoa, Sonic Adventure's level design i think works better, but still, Sonic has nothing really to do with Klonoa, contrary to popular belief, so yeah, it isn't really a 3D Klonoa game...

Besides, i think for what Klonoa is supposted to be, following its philosophies, 3D would not be a good idea, and Whisperings of the Wind will expand the possibilities of 2.5D, which Klonoa has never really done anything with, the only games that "utilize" the foreground and background, are Door to Phantomile (+ Wii-make), and Lunatea's Veil, but even then, when i finished Door to Phantomile and found out there was a sequel, i was expecting Lunatea's Veil to go wild and expand alot the possibilities of the background and foreground mechanics, but actually, Lunatea's Veil does, even less than Door to Phantomile, i was rather dissappointed in that department.  :( Every other Klonoa game didn't roll with this, but it makes almost no difference and actually keeps the pacing going better as was part of the philosophy, a non-stop, super accessible game where it shouldn't keep stopping the player. We'll also bring more action like DtP to Whispers of Wind, every other Klonoa game some times puts me to sleep with how empty the levels can be and how slow the game can be as well.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 01:29:11 pm by rapappa the pepper, Reason: Extra, »
Is this a forum they forgot, or has the forum forgot them?
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Online Cobra!

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • ’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 03:49:19 pm »
It would be interesting to see. I've seen a couple of fan projects on Itch and GameJolt that seem to attempt it but I haven't played them yet.

If Klonoa 1 & 2 came out in the 16-bit era, I think we would have definitely seen a Klonoa 3D. That seemed to be the trend at the time.

I know how to make ultra low-poly 3D models, but I don't know how to ROMHack. :embarassed:

Offline Balneor

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 09:24:36 am »
There is also the Klonoa Dream Chapter unity game. I'd say it's the best Klonoa fangame out there.

Alto I didn't find it with a quick search, the guy most likely already opened a thread about it here.
Failing that, here's the website link for it : https://taldius.itch.io/klonoa

Offline RAYDEN

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • Dreams make a wish come true
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 08:11:48 pm »
I think a 3D Klonoa is not impossible, but somewhat of a case study. We already know the controls can easily to adapt into 3D, the tricky part is the level design itself.

Klonoa's biggest charm is the incredibly fluid and intuitive levels, it is all thanks to the 2.5D formula and its limitations, at least in my opinion. You get all sorts of platforming and puzzle opportunity whilst using background and foreground elements.

The 2.5D design seems to be so integral to the game that it might be a bit too much of a shift for it as a game, it's just part of Klonoa's identity. But what if instead a potential hub world is playable in a 3D platforming plain, and the actual levels are 2.5D? I believe that would be a fine compromise.

To justify platforming in a hypothetical hub world, we can fill it with a bunch of goodies, puzzles and earnable treasure unique to it! There's all sorts of activities that could extend the fun with this game. In fact there could be more than one hub world, that can really open up the game.

That's my two cents. Oh and if you want to learn how to make a game you should check out Godot! It's got node based programming for ease of use and it's capable of 3D, ideal for prototyping your ideas. Well, you might want to check out a few guides for it online too!  :embarassed:
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho

Offline HaggisD1

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
  • Guy with a weird taste
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 02:56:38 pm »
and there was an old GZDoom 3D Klonoa mod, but that one was cursed and, not really a Klonoa game like, a total conversion, it was just, Chex Quest, but with the Klonoa ring.

I actually played this one. It was clearly far away from being finished. The Leveldesign was barely existing (i asume that the levels were supossed to take longer than 27 seconds), i spent more time setting up the controls than playing this game.
But the "Moo Jump" was actually quite satisfying to use, it was the best thing from this "game".

I think SM64 with Klonoa mechanics would be against 100% the design philosophies of Klonoa,

I agree on this one, but i intended to use SM64 as some sort of engine, despite the philosophies of the game's orignal design.

( i have nothing to add on it  :embarassed: )

• Hero
  • I do want a soulmate.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 03:39:29 pm »
On the attachments, i left a VERY early proof of concept i made for Klonoa 3D that i talked about, it was going to have entirely new levels with proper presentation of course, but it was just me testing things, as well as, using my old Klonoa models i made, you can check it out i guess, and if you're too thirsty for it i could maybe do a 1 level demo of a proper 3D Klonoa that is actually complete instead of just default GZDoom but with Klonoa ring and moos i guess.
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline AGiLE-EaGLE1994

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • Shameless Wiimake Enjoyer.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 11:46:21 am »
Is this a Doom mod or some sort of replica of Doom in another engine? Klonoa appears to use a 3D model but at the same time, everything else appears to be the original version of Doom, which used billboard sprites for the characters. I like this idea, though I do have to say that Klonoa takes up way too much of the screen and he's way too big for the level map, though given this is an extremely early tech demo, I'm assuming that video was just to see if the model worked.
Eric Stitt's voice for Klonoa is fitting, and I will die on that hill.

• Hero
  • I do want a soulmate.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 11:53:44 am »
I made this. It is a GZDoom mod, which is a source port of Doom that is, fairly different and popular, so much that can be done here can't be done in Doom.

Don't really work on this anymore.

Offline AGiLE-EaGLE1994

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • Shameless Wiimake Enjoyer.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2023, 07:45:03 pm »
Sucks that it's abandoned, but it's nice to know that you had the passion to start it. I know what it's like to not be able to motivate yourself to finish a project, I almost never finish anything I start.
Eric Stitt's voice for Klonoa is fitting, and I will die on that hill.