For each time you go to Idle Chatter, Lolo trips over an object.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Underappreciated 3DS Games  (Read 3284 times)

Offline SpykeXD

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
    • Spyke's Got Writer's Block
Underappreciated 3DS Games
« on: June 13, 2014, 01:02:02 am »
I've had my 3DS since it came out a few years ago and I've been a huge fan of it ever since. I follow news for it closely so I hear about a lot of games for it but there are quite a few that go under my radar now and then. What do you think are some games others may have missed?

I've got a few to choose from but I'm going to go with Jewel Master: Cradle of Rome 2. The few people who have seen this game in the wild have probably ignored it due to thinking it's just another match-3 puzzle game but they'd be missing out. It's actually really fun and requires quite a bit of strategy to play since it's not just about racking up a high score. You have to clear spaces from the board by matching the various tiles and each board is a different shape. Each tile gives you certain resources to use to build things for the city of Rome and other tiles power up a bonus item that can clear a number of tiles away from the board. This game is so unknown that I've found only one review of the 3DS version online and it's from a website I've never heard of.

What about you? What hidden gems have you found?

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
Underappreciated 3DS Games
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 01:38:00 pm »
I don't know. Most of the 3DS games I see go pretty noticed. The ones I don't notice are the ones I don't care about.

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
Re: Underappreciated 3DS Games
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:08:21 am »
Unchained Blades is a great one. It's only on the eShop, but it has the quality of something you could find at retail. It's a first-person dungeon crawler where you can augment your characters with monsters that you recruit. The cast is great, and it has some top-quality vocal talent like Troy Baker, Yuri Lowenthal, Liam O'Brien, Laura Bailey, Cassandra Lee, and Erin Fitzgerald. It's also got some surprisingly epic boss fights.

Offline SpykeXD

• Wind
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 12:28:14 am »
Unchained Blades is a great one. It's only on the eShop, but it has the quality of something you could find at retail. It's a first-person dungeon crawler where you can augment your characters with monsters that you recruit. The cast is great, and it has some top-quality vocal talent like Troy Baker, Yuri Lowenthal, Liam O'Brien, Laura Bailey, Cassandra Lee, and Erin Fitzgerald. It's also got some surprisingly epic boss fights.

I remember hearing about Unchained Blades back when Nintendo Power was still around. Keep forgetting it's on the eShop. I hear it's a lot like Etrian Odyssey, which seems about right based on the trailer I saw for Unchained Blades.

Speaking of eShop titles, there's a really nice indie platformer on the eShop called Gunman Clive. It's a Mega Man-inspired platformer that has a really nice western theme to it. It's a little short, but it's only 2$ and it's one of the better platformers on the eShop. Interestingly enough, it's actually a port of a mobile game and the 3DS version sold much better than the mobile version.

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 01:15:17 am »
It's a little more in-depth than Etrian Odyssey, though they are both first-person dungeon crawlers. It's a bit more like Wizardry or Class of Heroes, though with a big focus on story.

Offline SpykeXD

• Wind
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 09:18:41 pm »
Didn't Unchained Blades drop in price? I seem to remember it being about $30 on the eShop but it looks like it's been dropped down to only $20.

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 12:25:59 pm »
I would say, Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion. Great game in the series, much better than Disney's Magical Mirror. Unfortunately, no one knows about this game, and if people do know about it, there is a 50/50 chance the person you encounter says it stinks because of slow pacing, stupidly short, and/or too much backtracking. I will admit, the pacing is kinda slow for a 2D Platformer, but still. Great game.
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline SpykeXD

• Wind
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 02:39:16 pm »
I would say, Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion. Great game in the series, much better than Disney's Magical Mirror. Unfortunately, no one knows about this game, and if people do know about it, there is a 50/50 chance the person you encounter says it stinks because of slow pacing, stupidly short, and/or too much backtracking. I will admit, the pacing is kinda slow for a 2D Platformer, but still. Great game.

I had completely forgotten that that game existed until just now :3