No one knows what Rupurudu! really does. It is said he lives in the internet, eating code to keep the server running.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Klonoa Bootleg Hunt  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Warp

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • Blasting music 24/7
Re: Klonoa Bootleg Hunt
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 09:05:36 pm »
I didn't expect to see Klonoa bootleg stuff lol  :big_smile:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:07:55 pm by Floral Shoppe »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 04:16:20 pm »
Ohh dear.. never change weirdo bootlegs. never change.

Offline Puckman

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 03:34:29 pm »
Well, I have this GBA Multicart with Klonoa 2 DCT on it, idk if it counts but the game's on an unofficial gba multicart so I guess it does

Offline Meguumin

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 31
  • Inconsistent lurker
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 08:46:58 pm »
Well, I have this GBA Multicart with Klonoa 2 DCT on it, idk if it counts but the game's on an unofficial gba multicart so I guess it does

Sure does! Thanks for the great find. I posted this to the archive Twitter with credit to you :hey:

Offline rando account

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
  • "I need to think of a good bio" -Me, 2 minutes ago
    • imgur account
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 11:56:24 pm »
Yes... This is the one I mentioned. Ugh.

Just like another of those infamous Mega Drive russian bootleg games with creepy game over screens.

I'll be checking if I can see more bootleg stuff on Klonoa, but I doubt that I'll find anything new.

i know this post is old but i need to see footage of this game, ESPECIALLY the game over
my curiosety is peaking
Better Call Rando

Offline DriftStar

• Wind
  • "I'm using tilt controls!"
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2022, 04:07:20 pm »
Are we only discussing bootleg Klonoa video-games or also bootleg Klonoa merchandise?

I've been seeing phoney Klonoa plushes across Ebay and AliExpress recently. :angry:

The first is interesting because it's a completely original design of Klonoa based on his Klonoa 2 design. I own this one, and it's surprisingly nicely made for a bogus Klonoa plush. The embroidery is well made, the toy is soft and sown well and the design is fairly accurate. ;D

The downside? It's pretty ugly. :sad_face:

Apparently it was made by "OlyFactory". My praises end with Klonoa's bangs of hair being a piece of felt slapped on his hat and his face having two noses. The fact is arguably the most important part of a plush and it's a bit of a bummer they dropped the ball. I remember an interview saying that the chances for genuine Klonoa merchandise of this kind is seldom to none. :confused:

However there is hope, a surprisingly nice looking knockoff of the original Klonoa plush from Klonoa Door To Phantomile.

If you saw only this image you could actually be fooled into thinking he's genuine, but there is some giveaways, like difference in color, the mouth not being "3D" and a generally lower looking quality. Some photos look great and some look terrible. :(

The most interesting Klonoa bootleg I happened to find was something I never saw coming; A Popka plush! :O

This Popka is quite large and also available on Ali and Ebay. He almost doesn't look half-bad, since he's, again, a completely original plush!

I managed to get my hands on all of these, and as we speak both Klonoa (DTP) and Popka are being shipped. I can post again if you're interested in a "review" of sorts. :hey:

I'm pretty impressed by the effort these Klonoa bootleggers went to to make these plushies. The Klonoa 2 Klonoa and Popka plushes being seemingly entirely original really caught me by surprise.

I do not recommend actually buying these. They ARE gaining profit through bogus merch parading itself as genuine and Bandai doesn't see a cent of the profits made and you can't be assured of the quality of these guys. Who knows if they contain some sort of toxins that I'm breathing right now? I'm not endorsing supporting bootleggers of any kind.

Online qwerty9537

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • klonoa 1 more like ..... i dunno
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 06:30:45 pm »
oh, these look interesting! keep us updated with your bootlegs! :D

Offline DriftStar

• Wind
  • "I'm using tilt controls!"
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2022, 11:43:40 am »
It's time, Clone-oa has arrived at his destination!

I was super excited for this plush and boy, does he deliver. :big_smile:

Here he is; Isn't he adorable? :embarassed: He stands 11 inches/30 cm tall and is made or a SUPER soft material. No tag this time. I half expected another Hello from our friends at OLYFACTORY. I kind of love him in an ironic way. Honestly, this is a decent plush when judged by itself. I don't have the original UFO Klonoa that this is a knockoff of for comparison anyway, but I'll compare it a little later.

The stitching and general quality looks good, though I had to pick off some dirt and there is a couple of loose threads hanging off of areas where embroidery was used. The hands have no effort to distinguish fingers beside the thumb and pointing finger, which I personally don't mind but it does look a little odd. His pointing hand is fine, and the other resembles an oven mitt. :hand:

Surprisingly, the fabric making up the eyes and middle of his face appears to be print-on fabric. I never noticed this in the photos! The yellow, white and black are printed, but the pupils themselves are embroidered.

I bet it's hard to tell even in this picture! I dunno if that means it's good material used or just coincidentally holds color. It may fade with time.

The ears are unfortunately a little short. The black and white are sown in a way where the whole ear is white and the black is more of a "sleeve" that creates pockets. I guess if you want you could do the "coin behind your ear trick" with him and hide some spare change. They look a little strange with so many ends that they almost begin to resemble hands. I wish they reduced the points a bit to stylize the plush. This is the result of the fact that they scaled down this plush, likely to save money.

The real Klonoa UFO plush has two sizes, large and beanie. The beanie plush is around 11-12 inches tall. Since I don't own these plushes I need to use the photos here for reference. https://twitter.com/klonoa_archives/status/829126680753041408

As you can see between photos Clone-oa's hat has lost a lot of detail to it compared to the real deal and the cap is a lot shorter than it should be. Unfortunately the hat falls into itself a lot, so I may need to push in some stuffing to keep the hat in shape. :|

The belt appears to be too broad, encapsulating too much of the plushie. It is also made of felt rather than this leather-looking material that they used and is a much lighter shade or orange. The original plushes' nose is much smaller and the face is sown with more detail, which is dropped in the bootleg to a pink patch sown onto the white to simulate his smile. His cheek fluff, distinctly separated into three in the original, has been dropped into a vague shape resembling 2 tufts in the bootleg version. The legs are also stuffed, which isn't the case in the beanie version.

I honestly can't tell whether they bootlegged the large version of the plush or the small one, since details blend together, such as the small ears of the beanie and the lesser sowing lines in the face of the larger one. It's obvious they were only working off of photos, likely of both versions. :confused:

One possible error that I am unsure about, since literally no photos of the back of an official Klonoa plush exist, is that the bootleg completely lacks Klonoa's tail. It's hard to say if this is another giveaway or if the real plush also lacks this detail.

I saved the best thing for last though, a dead giveaway of this plushes' bogus nature and the fact that bootleggers always have to work in a baffling error or two; Klonoa has 2 Pac-Mans on his hat for the price of one now!

Really? :sad_face: They didn't look at enough pictures of Klonoa plushes to make sure that it was 1 Pac-Man chasing 1 dot, or just the Pac-Man? He and his double are even facing the wrong way!

I do hope that I can pull them off of the plush with some patience and cut the dot out of one and re-glue it, because otherwise I think, even though it's kind of shoddy bogus, it is a nice plush by itself and I am happy to keep him.

Again though, I do NOT recommend buying these even if they are cheap on AliExpress. Namco sees no profit from the sales and the plushes are of uncertain quality. This might mean that Clone-oa here may be hazardous to your health.

What's your opinion on Clone-oa and his Klonoa 2 envoking double I discussed earlier?

drowing33

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2022, 02:42:43 am »
I REALLY NEED THAT POPKA