Untamed Heart: Wahoo is more popular than Yahoo!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: What Truely Got You Into the Series?  (Read 10873 times)

Offline Zenex Azure

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
  • "That's a cat."
    • Mixer Channel
What Truely Got You Into the Series?
« on: March 22, 2014, 11:39:15 am »
One of the main reasons we're all here is because we love the Klonoa series. Yet I've never met anyone that didn't have something that made them like a series so much, and I'm curious as to what piece of the series sparked you into becoming a fan.

For me, it has to be its platforming and story. While the characters, and soundtrack have a say in it as well, that was the two things that stood out to me the most.

Having to use enemies as a requirement to use a second jump may seem strange at first, but it was a very unique mechanic and it was pulled off perfectly. It led to some very interesting platforming and puzzle situations that either made you test your reflexes or sit back and think before proceeding, and sometimes even both. It also controlled very fluidly, making every wahoo worth it!

As for the story, both of the main games had the nice kid theme but always sent out messages that can impact all ages. Every time I think about it, it reminds me that it relates to the real world and how people think on the subjects. This is probably one of the few, if only, game series where I was touched by the story, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

Anyways, those are my reasons. I can't wait to read some of yours. ;)
"Look, ok, thinking is hard."

Offline SurrealBrain

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 13
  • Goody goody!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 02:23:13 pm »
I was first exposed to it through...X-Play. Sue me. Then I played Dream Champ Tournament, and didn't like it, though I'm thinking I might give it a second chance.

Then, after seeing a list of games that needed more love from a magazine whose opinions I usually agreed with, I played the Wii remake of the original, and I loved it! Then I played Klonoa 2, and loved it even more!

Thanks to FRAYKER for the signature! :)

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 03:56:21 pm »
I first saw Klonoa in a advertisement in an old Gamepro magazine issue. It was an ad for Klonoa 2 and I was immeditaely interested but the game wasn't out yet and we didn't even own a PS2 yet. I wanted to play the game so bad I called my local Walmart every day until they said they had the game in stock. I got the game but the problem was we still didn't own a PS2 so I would play the game every time my brother went to his friends house who owned one. Eventually we did get our own PS2 though. =)

Offline AlphaRed9X

• Stand User
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • is Mayonnaise a Klonoa?
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 06:16:42 pm »
It was definitely Klonoa himself that grabbed my attention to the series  ;)

Back when I was 7 years old, me and my bro used to rent games from a store in Florida called "Movie Gallery" (including Mario Party 4 and Zone of the Enders) When I passed by Klonoa 2, I immediately wanted to play it, because the character on the cover looked so cool (He still does  :embarassed: ) I remember getting stuck a couple of times because I couldn't get the hang of the double jump mechanic, and I had a really short attention span when I was little, so I just skipped the cutscenes and didn't pay much attention to the story (curse this autism! :sad face: ) Nevertheless, I still loved the heck out of it. But we had to give it back a few days later, and afterwards I sort of forgot about him...

Years later, I saw an article on an issue of GameInformer, which my uncle used to subscribe to, and it was a preview for the Klonoa Wiimake. My bro pointed out that we used to have a game like that back in Florida, and when I looked closely, I noticed Klonoa's huge ears (honestly, who could forget those ears?) and I knew I found him familiar. I googled Klonoa, and when I saw the cover for Lunatea's Veil, my memory clicked and I immediately wanted to play it again. Once I found a copy of Lunatea's Veil on Amazon, I finally had this game for real this time, and I instantly fell in love with it. It offered WAY more than just a cute mascot; it drew me in with its unmatched charm and clever playstyle. It had a story that was both imaginative and meaningful, with characters that I honestly wish were real. It quickly became one of my favorite games of all time, and I became a fan of the series ever since.

For as much flack as the Wiimake gets, I still very much appreciate it for helping me remember this masterpiece  ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:51:47 pm by AlphaRed9X »
It a me

Offline The Kakuzato

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 07:43:58 pm »
My first run-in with Klonoa was from one of the PS1 demo discs.  Not sure if it was from a magazine, pizza hut, or what, but I remember that I absolutely LOVED playing the demo of Klonoa even though it only had the first level.  

Later on, I eventually found Klonoa 2, and I loved it just as much.

Anyway, I suppose what I like most about the Klonoa series is both the unique gameplay, and the characters.  Especially in Klonoa 2, where all the characters had a LOT of personality and their personalities effected the overall story in many ways.  Then again, I suppose that that was kind of the point of that game, haha.

Offline Mike

• Moo
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:45:32 pm »
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, the excellent platforming and beautiful scenery, and the story which is even better. As a kid I cried with the ending, and it felt close to my heart.

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:36:08 pm »
tldnr below***
I came across Klonoa for the first time in college...when I was 22 or 23. Either way I was really bored with the video games I currently owned and had no real faith or desire in the games on the horizon at the time.

I ventured onto Gametrailers.com and sorted a list of all Wii and PC games by score (highest to lowest). Klonoa Wiimake was on the 2nd or 3rd page and had a 9.0 so I was like, wth is this? A game with a high score like that and I haven't heard about it.

I googled the ยง#!t out of it. I watched the intro cinematic and was perplexed by the quality of the animation and the lightheartedness. All the forums and blogs I visited spoke positively about the game and the series. Also after watching some of the gameplay I figured, heck why not. I then went onto ebay and bought the wiimake and some other game brand new; the Wiimake was $13.

I played through the wiimake then nabbed the ps1 emulator and the other emulators. Since then I've bought all the games except Volleyball.
All in all what pulled me into the series was the simplicity. The game just flowed well for me. It was different, it was smooth, it was easy to pick up, it was different, it was different. The gameplay was refreshing to me and still is. The puzzles though most are very easy, sometimes made me stop and think so I liked that too. I actually like the GBA games more as puzzles because for some reason each time I play through I don't remember them...I remember they were a pain once I /derp on them. (I grew up on first-person-shooters BF1942,Savage1,Battlezone; so 2D platformers are more difficult than they should be sometimes). >:(
*edit* oh ya, also grew up on N64 games like Goldeneye, Banjo, Mario party, ect. Gameboy games didn't influence me much)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:58:36 pm by confuted »

Offline realmwars

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
  • Director of future coming Klonoa Fan Movie.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 09:17:41 pm »
I first heard of the series from a walkthrough made by a user named Shadsilvson11 who played the original Door to Phantomile. I liked the charm of the game so much I wanted to jump into the series.

Klonoa 2 is the game that made me say "That's it I'm a fan of this series."

Offline Tails' Fake Rings

• Heart Moo
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 11:10:27 pm »
I originally found out about Klonoa when I was much younger. Lunatea's Veil was on one of those PS2 demo discs that came with gaming magazine issues. When I played both available visions (Jungle Slider and Sea of Tears), I was immediately infatuated with the game and eventually had the full version purchased for me. Unfortunately, I was too young or probably didn't care at the time to truly appreciate the game, as well as see the message and meaning the story had to offer, but I still enjoyed the game immensely.

Jump to present times, where once I completely understood everything about Klonoa, I couldn't stop thinking about him and his destiny. I grew up to be a very sensitive and compassionate individual, and that compassion even extends to fictional characters, as silly as that may sound. Even so, I enjoy being able to feel this way. I never wanted to grow up to be a cold and distant person that seemed indifferent to others' feelings. It's hard to explain, but I guess I've always wanted to be known as a "good person" in this world.

Either way, this is the reason for the project I started. An illustrated retelling of games in the Klonoa series in a specific timeline, ending with a final story to conclude it, as well as someone who could always be there for Klonoa himself. Combating anguish and despair, I believe that closure is one of the most important factors that a mind can experience to alleviate stress and worry. No matter what the truth may be, painful or happy, the truth is absolute. You wouldn't have to endure that one question constantly asked over and over in your mind for the rest of your life.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:18:37 pm by Fake Ring »

Offline Gyzyn

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 01:30:48 pm »
The first game I've played was the Wii make. It made me a fan of the series.

The thing that got me into the fanchise was how it took me by suprise. You know, at first I thought about it just as a fun, cute platformer. After the game introduced more mature themes, like death of a loved one (even though in the end it was just an illusion), and the ending hit me right in my heart with the masterpieces of music in the game soundtrack.

After the experience I was a different man, more close to who I trully am. Before it happened I was almost dead inside, changing into an undead drifting along with the wind of conformism.
It changed me, helped me with my self-development, I found music, and soon after I realized I have to start learning music.

Maybe now I have more enemies than before, but it's a lot better being myself, than being whatever everyone else wants me to be for their own benefits.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:35:18 pm by Gyzyn »