You can't hate Popka. He's a jerk with a heart of gold.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Poll

Which of these do you prefer to play games on?

Desktop (Windows/Linux)
Laptop (Windows/Linux)
iMac
Macbook
Steam Machine
Windows (Phone/Tablet)
Android (Phone/Tablet)
IOS (Phone/Tablet)

Author Topic: Which device do YOU play games on?  (Read 4591 times)

Offline VikVanHazel

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
  • How curious...
Which device do YOU play games on?
« on: December 23, 2015, 02:11:35 pm »
Let us cut to the chase... I have several ideas for a game, but I'm unsure which idea to pursue. So I thought I'd narrow it down based on target platform. As a result, this poll was made! Some of you may have already noticed that this poll lacks consoles. Those were not included, seeing as they are beyond my current capabilities.

If anyone plays their games on multiple devices and has a preference, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:22:54 pm by VikVanHazel »

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
Re: Which device do YOU play games on?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 03:55:24 pm »
Why not use Unity? It's cross platform and works on (almost) every device you mentioned.

Offline VikVanHazel

• Hero in Training
  • How curious...
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 04:07:33 pm »
It's not really a matter of portability in this case. This is more about which platforms are worth building the game around.

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 05:35:50 pm »
I don't understand why you are keeping desktop and laptop seperated? Both has same input/output devices, and same apis to develop on.

Also you can let users choose multiple selections, it's available on the poll's settings.

I voted on the poll. Good luck with your next game.

Offline VikVanHazel

• Hero in Training
  • How curious...
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 06:36:01 pm »
Generally, laptops are not as powerful as desktop machines. They COULD be lumped together... but I found it to be better to distinguish between the two. After all... portable devices might need different considerations.  ;)

Offline Dimitri

• Heart Moo
  • I have absolutely nothing special to put here.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 10:16:11 pm »
The problem with that though, is that even if a lot of laptops aren't quite as powerful as desktops, the difference is getting closer and closer and a lot of laptops are actually quite capable of doing most of the things your average desktop can. Unless you plan to make a game that's actually big enough to need all the power of a steambox-level desktop, there's not usually enough of a impact on performance for it to be necessary to design it for one or another. Especially when it can still be played on either.

But eh, I voted.
I registered in 2015 as part of a roleplaying game and proceeded to never do anything of importance. Oops?

Offline VikVanHazel

• Hero in Training
  • How curious...
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 01:44:50 am »
The goal is to get this running smoothly on low end machines. So yes... the GPU is part of it, but that's not the whole reason. The difference may seem negligible, but this extends to the way I can expect the game to be played. You see, the platform(s) I focus on will dictate many design decisions moving forward. For example, the length of individual stages. I don't know about you, but I find a typical laptop setup does not lend itself well to long play sessions. Trust me, the overall experience is different enough.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 05:52:09 am »
I stay on desktop a lot. But also emulate Android somewhat recently.

I'd also say memory could be  consideration I have 8GB of ram now but for the longest time ever I was stuck on 3GB

Offline TimertheBunneh

• Moo
  • Balan Wonderworld (and Klonoa) fan
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 04:10:58 pm »
I mainly use PC, but I have so many other consoles too. Including an arcade cabinet.
She/her pronouns, please
  Discord: Timer & Balan#0514

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 01:08:08 am »
Imo just get the game made to be compatible with Steam. I know a few Mac gamers and they all us bootcamp to play most of their games. Sooo just make it for windows and Steam and if it becomes popular enough convert it over to Mac...just don't expect to make a substantial profit converting to Mac

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey