Klonoa Collective: Where our official ship is Joka x Janga.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 7284 times)

Offline Bitterman

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
Pet Peeves
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 04:41:58 pm »
Oh I know all about that business, few years back I had trouble keeping my sweet tooth at bay, mainly due to chronic fatigue, as that precluded any excercise. Nowadays, as far as sweets are of concern, I'm forced to stick with powdered glucose and fruits. Kinda eliminated my weight problems haha, so I don't mind it. :D

Another few things occurred to me:
 - Lackluster sequels to a good game that ends up spoiling the taste because the developers were completely incompetent in their design choices, in all likelyhood because someone waved money in their faces.  I think the best illustration is to compare Deus Ex : Invisible War to the original Deus Ex. I've played Deus Ex through dozens of times, but with IW I didn't get past the first few levels.

- Microsoft's desperate attempts at making people use their newer OSes, where they have video game developers work under them and force them to make games exclusive to the latest OS. It's just plain cheap and it never worked, and they try to do this with already obscure games that almost nobody knows of. For example, the latest Ty game.

Offline Atri

• Drunk Cat
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PercipientFish
Pet Peeves
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 04:08:32 pm »
I think my worst pet peeve in video games has to be artificial difficulty. Rather than AI getting actually harder to fight, the game just punishes your mistakes more by flipping the damage tables WAY in the favor of your enemies. Or gives the AI stupid advantages like the i-frames enemies get in CoD campaigns when running from cover to cover and when firing at you.

I'm on the fence about drop rates, honestly. Going 0/100+ on any drop, especially one with a long respawn timer (2-4 hours god) doesn't feel good. But going 4/4 when most people never end up getting that item once FEELS SO GOODDDD.

Oh and unnecessarily repetitive death/respawn cycles. Like every death leads to 30 seconds of follow up cutscene is just dumb.

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2019, 08:33:55 pm »
Wow! It’s been YEARS since this topic was last active. Anyway, Earthbound introduced me to two new pet peeves: Inability to skip text and things like random turn order (I can thank the amount of times Paul’s died for that one).
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline A6G2H4

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 03:11:06 am »
timed/moving platforms in platformers, like you need to wait for the platform to slowly come back to move on with the level. they bog down the pace of the game and dont really add any difficulty beyond, 'you were to fast/slow earlier, now you must wait'. its mainly annoying when replaying levels, but it can get annoying on the first way through when overused as well.

Offline Dimitri

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
  • I have absolutely nothing special to put here.
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2019, 11:56:14 pm »
Oh, we talking games?

Shovel Knight's gold mechanic. You need gold in order to advance in power, especially when playing Plague of Shadows, but the fact that you lose so much of your gold every time you die makes grinding enough gold to buy your next upgrade an absolute pain. Plague Knight's platforming in particular is awkward enough that unless you buy the float burst and never swap off it, you're guaranteed to die countless times while going for alchemy coins, which are ALSO necessary to progress.
I registered in 2015 as part of a roleplaying game and proceeded to never do anything of importance. Oops?