Vincentmrl's Mac can make origami out of hamburga french fry. Don't ask how.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Sonic Lost World (3DS) Review  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
Sonic Lost World (3DS) Review
« on: April 26, 2014, 08:22:02 pm »
Well, I'm bored and have nothing else to do. So, here goes.

I'm a big Sonic fan and of all the games I've played in the series, THIS is the only one that felt a cancelled game more than anything. The cancelled game I'm referring to is Sonic X-treme. But under all that, does it succeed in bringing back the potential it had, or does it belong in the Lost Hex? Let's see.

Story:

The story starts with Sonic and Tails chasing after Eggman, who has kidnapped some of Sonic's animal friends (he hasn't done THAT in a while). Eggman shoots the wing of the Tornado causing it to crash into Lost Hec, an unexplored world in the sky. While exploring this Lost Workd, Sonic discovers that Eggman has harnessed the power of six "Zeti" known as the Deadly Six in an effort to take over the world. Sonic later recklessly kicks away a "Cacophonic Conch Shell" the Egman was using to keep the Six under his control, causing them to rebell against him. As part of a plan for revenge on Eggman, the Deadly Six begin siphoning the energy from Earth, which would destroy the planet in the process. Sonic and Tails are reluctantly forced to team up with Eggman, Cubot, and Orbot to stop the Deadly Sic before it's too late. Overall, the story was Okay. Not the best story for a Sonic game but it was decent enough.

Gameplay:

Sonic Lost World is a good bit different from recent Sonic games: the game is now more centered around platforming (kinda like the Genesis games) and puzzle-solving but, still retains the speed the Sonic games are known for (well, for the most part). Sonic traverses levels in a style similar to Super Mario Galaxy and the cancelled Sonic X-treme. The game plays like you traditional Sonic Platformer, but that's all I can say on THAT. The game now features a new control scheme that is easy to get used to: A&B to jump, X&Y to spindash (hold longer after starting the spindash to keep it up) and hold down R while moving the circle pad to run (Sonic walks if you just use the circle pad). There is also a new Parkour system that lets you run on walls if you run toward them while holding the R button. There are 7 Worlds: Windy Hill, Desert Ruins, Tropical Coast, Frozen Factory, Silent Forest, Sky Road, and Lava Mountain. In each world, there are 3 acts and then a boss fight against one of the Deadly Six. Red rings return but they are somewhat hard to find but if you collect all of them in the 3 main acts in each world, you unlock an extra act for that world. Wisps return too but this time they are: Cyan Laser, Red Burst, Yellow drill, and the new ones: Indigo Asteroid, Ivory Lightning, and Grey Quake. When you complete a level you get material that can then be used to make RC vehicles and items a Tails' workshop. They can also be used to upgrade the workshop too. Another thing to mention is that the cutscenes in the game are taken directly from the Wii U version. They look decent, but really fuzzy. They look good on the Wii U version though.

Bad:

What could I have wrong with this game? A ton of flaws, a few of which I, sadly, CAN'T overlook.

1) The wisps are poorly executed and implemented. They worked in Sonic Colors but they didn't work here. They just seemed like complete pace killers and nothing in the story explains why the heck they're even here. If THAT'S not bad enough then get this: THERE ARE PARTS THAT REQUIRE YOU TO USE THE TO CONTINUE AND IF YOU MESS UP IN THOSE AREAS, THEN YOU WILL LOOSE A LIFE! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?  >:O Some of the Wisps also control like garbage, some of which use the 3DS' gyroscope. And speaking of motion controls..

2) Atrocious motion controls. While you think tilting the 3DS would be a good thing, here, it does that BUT MOST OF THE PARTS WITH MOTION CONTROLS REQUIRE YOU TO MOVE THE THING AROUND, MEANING YOU HAVE TO TURN YOUR WHOLE BODY AROUND! In fact, that's why I now loath special stages in Sonic games. Because of the turn-your-body-to-control-the-motion-controls thing being used here. It's also used on the fight against Zor too. This can result in you almost killing yourself operating the motion controls while charging the 3DS (and yes, that nearly happened).

3) Boss fight problems. (There's an A and a B to this one). My last complaint has to do with the boss fights. A: they are just downright too easy. I can beat some of them in just a minute because of that. The only one that can be CLOSE to bieng considered tough is Zeena, though it's tougher to pull off that it is to actually beat her. And B: This is gonna mirror a lot of fan complaints. After you beat Lava mountain, you would expect a pretty neat and awesome final boss. But what do we get? NOTHING BUT AN EGG NEGA WISP RIP-OFF. And EVERYTHING about it is reused from Egg Nega Wisp, EXCEPT for the boss itself (I won't tell what it is for spoiler reasons). Talk about a total let-down.

Good: The game speaks for itself in this regard so I'll just list them.
-Excellent graphics and soundtrack (I have one too many favorite songs from this game)
-Good Controls
-Fun gameplay

The verdict:

Overall, if you can get past some of the flaws this game has (MOTION CONTROLS), then you find a pretty good game. While there are some things that need work, it is a really fun Sonic game. I WON'T Lie.

So, the score:

8.5/10

A really good game that basically brought back a cancelled game, even If it was coincidental. But you may want to try the demo first before you buy if you aren't sure. But as a Sonic fan, I say get it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:13:53 pm by Windbullet »
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline bemuzzled

• *furry flomp*
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 9
  • Hill Top Zone
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 10:30:55 pm »
i heard the wii u version fared worse. will you do a review of that one too?

Offline Bitterman

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:35:56 am »
Interesting review. I originally considered buying a Wii U just to play Sonic Lost World, but after the scorning reviews I was put off. Especially after watching the cutscenes online, and some of the gameplay. I already found it weird how they pulled from Super Mario Galaxy, and actually not Sonic X-Treme:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/14/sonic-lost-world-has-nothing-to-do-with-sonic-x-treme/

Now I'm a pretty forgiving Sonic fan, I've played almost all the games, but I'm afraid I won't give LW a shot unless someone I know buys a Wii U, and has the game aswell. I might end up liking it though if that happens, since it seems that it's an extremely polarizing game. I won't pass full judgement on it until I actually get to try it, but what I saw so far wasn't that charming.

Offline mic1234007

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:57:08 am »
I feel like this version a lot :)

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 05:28:38 pm »
Quote from: "bemuzzled"
i heard the wii u version fared worse. will you do a review of that one too?
Actually, the 3DS version was the one that fared worse in terms of reviews, but the reviews on both versions were mixed. And no, I won't review the Wii U version cause I don't have a Wii U
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.