You can't hate Popka. He's a jerk with a heart of gold.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Am I the only one who thought that the games weren't taking place in a dream?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline HaggisD1

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 7
  • Guy with a weird taste
When I played the games I've never considered the possiblity that take place in a dream.

I was convinced that Hewpo and the King of Sorrow literally brought him into their worlds.

I orignally thought that Klonoa was dammed to travel from one world to another, until he returns to his homeworld of wich he has no memories of.

I expected Klonoa  to deal with somewhat of an identity crisis in Klonoa 2, because of his false memories wich he has receveid from Hewpo.

I was really let down by the story of L'sV  :bad_straight_face: .

Let me know what you guys are thinking about this.

Online rapappa the pepper

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 16
  • I do want a soulmate.
    • Rapappa The Pepper's Neo Cities
I too was at first a bit let down by the story of Lunatea's Veil, but, well... I always thought of them as "dreams", not knowing of who, but, they were dreams.

Well i, never thought of it that way, since right in the beginning of Door to Phantomile, he asks that, it is strange that dreams are forgotten when you wake up, despite knowing you had one, where do they go? Apparently, to Cress (from Phantomile, which... yeah does go to show that they had no plans for sequels), then it says "But there is one dream i clearly remember", fades to it, meaning that this is his dream, but it was done in a way that, i would forget this was a dream somehow... I thought the only dream part was the beginning actually, so i thought it wasn't a dream, until the end that is, besides, the world of Phantomile feels, much more believable than Lunatea, and is much more natural how levels are progressed, designed and done in Phantomile.
It is a dream that he remembers but, L'sV doesn't really need to be nammed "Klonoa 2", yes it does have in Hyuponia a motif in the background song and all that, but, y'know, you can start there, and end there, not having to play Door to Phantomile, and... Y'know, there is nothing really truly connecting these games, specially since, they are just, dreams, self contained with only being a vague reference to Hyuoponia, meaning, it is sub-conscious memories perhaps, which when i thought of it that way, started to make more sense the plot of Lunatea's Veil not having as much to do with Door to Phantomile as i expected it to at first, i thought at first that the void in Lunatea's Veil's intro was that blackhole from Door to Phantomile, meaning it was meant be a direct sequel, but, it clearly is not, and is its own thing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 04:31:50 pm by rapappa the pepper, Reason: oops »
Is this a forum they forgot, or has the forum forgot them?
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline AGiLE-EaGLE1994

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • Shameless Wiimake Enjoyer.
While that definitely makes sense, I think that Hyuponia's name could be a subconscious memory of Huepow too, I do think that the dreams are all definitely his. When Huepow says "back to your Phantomile, though, that makes me think that Klonoa actually is from Phantomile, albeit a different version of it. It's also possible that it could be a metaphor too, but I think it'd be odd to refer to a world with the name of a completely different one that isn't related (or isn't an alternate counterpart of it), like saying if Huepow was Martian and he said "Back to your Mars" instead of Phantomile.
Eric Stitt's voice for Klonoa is fitting, and I will die on that hill.

Online rapappa the pepper

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 16
  • I do want a soulmate.
    • Rapappa The Pepper's Neo Cities
That explains why he has a home there, a Grandpa, and in general Phantomile feels like the "intended' World of Klonoa... Dreams are poor failed reflections of events that happened in the real world.
Is this a forum they forgot, or has the forum forgot them?
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline Graturi

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
When I played the games I've never considered the possiblity that take place in a dream.

I was convinced that Hewpo and the King of Sorrow literally brought him into their worlds.

I orignally thought that Klonoa was dammed to travel from one world to another, until he returns to his homeworld of wich he has no memories of.

I expected Klonoa  to deal with somewhat of an identity crisis in Klonoa 2, because of his false memories wich he has receveid from Hewpo.
You're closer to the truth on all these than you think.  I think so, anyways.

First of all, I'm pretty sure Phantomile isn't just one dream world- Every dream world is a Phantomile.  And each Phantomile isn't just a dream- It's a world created by forgotten dreams.  Every morning, all the dreams everyone forgets are gathered in one place, and the energy from these dreams are used to create Phantomiles. 

We know this^^^ based on the starting poems in Klonoa 1 & 2, and developer interviews which put it plainly.

That's why the different worlds have so many 'dreamlike' qualities, but still undoubtedly exist without Klonoa's interference.  That also means it IS true that Huepow summoned Klonoa.  The King of Sorrow is probably a different story, though. 

As for Klonoa's identity crisis, it's complicated.  I definitely agree that the games could have explored it more. I haven't played any of the handheld Klonoa games but I believe they're mostly their own things, so it's a shame we don't get to see how Klonoa handles it in those. That being said, there are some small, sneaky things in Lunatea's Veil that could be jabs at the fact Klonoa basically has no past. 

In the Maze of Memories, the mirrors on the walls are meant to reflect the user's memories.  We see this is how they literally function with the Mira Mirans and Lolo, but Klonoa only ever sees his reflection.  Perhaps that's because he has no real memories- Everything he can recall was either faked by Huepow, or effectively in the present.  Funnily enough, that's all we see- Klonoa's current activities, reflected.  That's all he's got. 

(We wouldn't see his actual memories from the first game, because Lunatea's Veil (the thing, not the game itself) is covering them up.  Those memories return once the veil is lifted.)

Whether or not he damned to travel between dream worlds/Phantomiles forever is unknown.  We still don't know the nature of 'Dream Travellers'.  For all we know, Klonoa might not even have a home world at all.  We see one in a comic, but who's to say that's even real?  Both in terms of that story and canon?