Browsing this site on a smartphone? Be sure to browse it in landscape for the best experience!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Ello  (Read 5091 times)

Offline S.Z.

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • This sentence contains a lie.
Ello
« on: November 08, 2014, 07:11:20 am »
So an introduction huh, I'm rather new to the Klonoa franchise, or maybe not quite new, but I hadn't gotten quite acquainted with the series until very recently.

I played a demo of both the first and its sequel at a friend's house (never owned any of the Playstations until just a few weeks ago), back in the day, but at the time I just found both games just kind of strange but unremarkable.  Fast forward to a few years ago I played Empire of Dreams (on an emulator) and felt that it was ok but a bit too slow paced, so I quit by the second world. So just until recently I hadn't played through a single Klonoa game. Then I got reminded of the character a few months ago prior to the release of Smash 3DS, in a 4chan quarrel of all places, about who should have been in the Smash roster.

Being a fan of platformer games, and quite starved for a good platfomer, and at this point more than disgruntled with the state of the Sonic franchise, which used to be my favorite game series, that was until I played Sonic Heroes, and with Sonic Generations being the only platformer game I had enjoyed besides Nintendo's Mario outings, and the throwback Megaman games, and gaming in general was getting quite stale for me, and I was kind in a foul mood with things in general in my life, even going as far as starting to question why I gave a damn about anything in the first place.

Finally I got around to finishing Empire of Dreams, but this time I was pleasantly surprised how well made the game was, and the fact that nothing felt too gimmicky, sure the bosses were a bit on the meh side, but it really felt like one of the old school platformers I used to love, sure it was a bit on the easy side, but I did have my fair share of deaths during the scrolling stages, and the music and art direction was quite good too, with none of the level themes being too generic design wise, overall the game left me quite satisfied, and it left me wanting more.

Then I got myself a Playstation 2... in 2014, and ordered Klonoa 2 and the Wii remake from Ebay, for the first time in a long while I was somewhat pumped to play a game and had high hopes for both games, Klonoa 2 arrived first in the mail, and I couldn't start playing soon enough, and holy crap if the game didn't blow me away, this was actually a game where I greatly enjoyed all aspects of it, the story, game mechanics, music and especially the art direction. It's a rare enough occurence when a game greatly surpasses your expectations, even rarer still when it blows your mind when you are already really hyped, of course there were some things that I was sceptical of at first, but it all came together as the game progressed, the thought put into this game is just mind-boggling, small details one normally would not care much about, and in a game that seems to be aimed at children of all things, this game really reminded me why I love video games in the first place.

Then the Wii remake arrived, and I enjoyed it too, not as much as the PS2 game, but it was very good, though this game almost sickeningly cute, but not overwhelmingly so, but after comparing both versions with youtube videos, I think the PS1 version is the better version overall, I think the tone of that version fit it a lot better with Klonoa looking younger, and the cutscenes handling the emotional scenes better, even the art direction seems better overall even putting the Wii version to shame in some aspects graphics wise. Though I'm still doing the reverse portal challenges, which were a nice addtion to the game in my opinion.

So here's the TL:DR version, I played Klonoa 2, and it touched me inappropriately, and it was like my favoritestest thing ever.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:24:19 am by S.Z. »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: Ello
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:16:51 am »
Klonoa 2 is amaze :U yaay and I wholly agree about the PS1 DtP being better than Wii DtP xD
PS1 Klonoa Door to Phantomile was my first and a game  I can't forget.
you seemed to enjoy them I am very happy to hear that :D

Anyways Welcome to the forums :)

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Not a fan of Sonic/Pokemon
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 07:17:24 am »
Welcome! And thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's always great to see people tell others how they feel after playing any of the Klonoa games.

Hope you'll keep visiting here from time to time.

EDIT: HideoY said he only had limited budget when he was directing the Wii remake.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:21:37 am by RollingMeowcat »
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline dummy

• Dumbness Incarnate
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 07:31:29 am »
Welcome to the forums! :D
Anyway, about comparing Wii version and PS1 version of DtP, Wii version is about "here, easier for you", while DtP is the original game and the one i would recommend! ;)
By the way, Klonoa 2 is a masterpiece, too. :)
However, Klonoa series is known for nice story and cuteness, still it belongs on a odd ground, not very unknown, and not very common. :embarassed:

Offline Scroptels Gluzar

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 24
    • Pixiv
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 10:01:05 am »
Welcome to the forums!

I've yet to play the console games myself, I would love to play them but I can't and don't know how to buy things through the internet so I can't get the games, but I already watched a whole let's play of Klonoa 2 (a very bad one) so I know what you mean.

EDIT: HideoY said he only had limited budget when he was directing the Wii remake.

LOL wut? Why say it here? XD

Offline dummy

• Dumbness Incarnate
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 10:21:56 am »
Welcome to the forums!

I've yet to play the console games myself, I would love to play them but I can't and don't know how to buy things through the internet so I can't get the games, but I already watched a whole let's play of Klonoa 2 (a very bad one) so I know what you mean.

LOL wut? Why say it here? XD
Maybe because the remake was too easy? :big_smile:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:00:07 am by ALOIYD »

Offline NebulaVista

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 14
  • Archivist Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 10:48:03 am »
Then I got reminded of the character a few months ago prior to the release of Smash 3DS, in a 4chan quarrel of all places, about who should have been in the Smash roster.

Hey, I was introduced to the series thanks to 4Chan too. Regardless, it's always good to see a new face around here.

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 02:44:03 pm »
Well, then, welcome S. Z.! I noticed it took you a while to post here, but that's okay- "last, but not least", they say. ANYWAY, I can say that I strted with Klonoa 2, myself, though...a lot less "recently", and more like "too young to remember exactly when", though I can attest that I tried it as a store demo WAY before I ever actually rented it...and only bought it a few years back. (There's a similair sob story I went through with trying Sonic Adventure and getting Sonic Adventure DX, but that's a franchise discussion for another day.)

Anyway, welcome to he forums, and enjoy your stay! Fair warning- things can get a bit crazy on the shoutbox sometimes, usually when Di Gi or I am around. Don't worry, though- It's a GOOD kind of crazy.

(Also, if possible, I reccomend getting Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament. It's pretty much the only other major Klonoa game to play...besides Klonoa Heroes, but that hasn't been translated yet (which we've been working on doing here, by the by), so that isn't as important right now.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:49:52 pm by Sable-Xeno »

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline TimertheBunneh

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
  • Balan Wonderworld (and Klonoa) fan
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 03:58:31 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forums! :3 Klonoa 2 was the first Klonoa game I owned (and it came without a manual :P) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's too bad I swapped over to a Gamefaqs save so close to the end of the game.
She/her pronouns, please
  Discord: Timer & Balan#0514

Offline S.Z.

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • This sentence contains a lie.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 04:12:15 am »
(Also, if possible, I reccomend getting Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament. It's pretty much the only other major Klonoa game to play...besides Klonoa Heroes, but that hasn't been translated yet (which we've been working on doing here, by the by), so that isn't as important right now.)

I will probably end up buying every game of the franchise, might even go as far as buying a Wonderswan so I can get Moonlight Museum too, I live in Europe so getting the Volleyball Spinoff is a no brainer, seems to be priced at about 10$ on ebay so price is not an issue there atleast, I'm not quite sure about the original PS1 game, I would maybe get the PAL version, but there is the issue of game optmization, I have no idea which games on the PS1 are optimized or not for 50hz, so I might just get the US or JAP version of the game instead, prices be damned. Just to go off on a tangent, you wouldn't believe how happy I was when I saw that the PAL version Lunatea's veil let you choose between 50 or 60 hz mode (This was before buying the game, I thread very carefully when buying PAL console games).

On an unrelated note, I was thinking of making a little something fangame related, I have been sitting on a platforming engine that I made about a year ago that I haven't put to a good use yet, it isn't the most efficient thing in the world but should run well even on the worst computer imaginable (as long said computer does not struggle trying to run WinXP that is XD), but it was made with flexibility in mind so I should be able to turn it into a Klonoa Engine over a couple of days, and it even has a rudimentary level editor to boot, I'm sure there would be some interest in that here, it's a 2D engine BTW so whatever I make will be based on the GBA games.
 :big_smile: