Untamed Heart: Wahoo is more popular than Yahoo!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: The underrated and the overrated  (Read 4562 times)

Offline SurrealBrain

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 13
  • Goody goody!
The underrated and the overrated
« on: May 03, 2015, 08:35:01 pm »
Another thread inspired by one from another forum. Basically, express what you feel gets too much appreciation and what doesn't get enough.

As the first poster here, I'll start. Copy pasting from said other forum because I'm lazy and don't feel like typing a new one.

Underrated: Puyo Puyo. A wonderful puzzle series with wonderful characters. Even if I can't understand what they're saying in most games, their personalities show through in the tone of their voices and the visuals, so I have that reason to watch the cutscenes even in the untranslated releases.

Amitie is my favorite Puyo character. I love her a lot.

It's got more personality than Tetris in my eyes, yet far less of the popularity, Not saying Tetris is bad, just that with that one, if not for Puyo Puyo Tetris, I'd just stick with my old PS2 copy of Tetris Worlds and call it good.

Also, Star Fox Adventures. It isn't a traditional Star Fox installment, yes, though granted, it wasn't supposed to be connected to Star Fox at all. That said, it's a great game in its own right, and I feel Fox himself is at his best with his personality. He's just such a snark, and I love that. I also enjoy this more than most of the Zelda games. Odd, since this is a "Zelda clone," so they say.

Overrated: Most Zelda games. It's time for me to come out and finally admit it. I've been denying it, even to myself, but the truth must come out. I just can't get into the series no matter how hard I try.

To make matters worse, every time I think I finally found one I actually enjoy, something makes it so that I stop the adventure before it's officially over.

Despite this, however, I struggle to call them outright bad. At any rate, the series isn't my cup of tea. It really says something when my favorite one in the series is Hyrule Warriors, which isn't even the typical Zelda experience. I liked that one.

Another overrated title is the movie Frozen. I had no idea what to expect when I first head about it.

My expectations were raised when my brother and sister, who are usually harder to please than I am, enjoyed it and talked it up.

So I saw it when they brought their copy over last year's Easter...it wasn't a bad film.

But it's definitely not the masterpiece it's made out to be. Especially the songs. This is probably the first time the characters' abilities to pull a song out of their asses actually distracted me and took me out of the film rather than enhanced it, or at least did nothing to detract.

The story wasn't bad, but while it did do some thing different, it still felt like a by-the-numbers film to me.

I can see why people like it, though, and again, despite my quips, it was a decent flick. Just don't expect me to put it on a hypothetical "films of the 2010s" list.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:43:34 pm by SurrealBrain »

Thanks to FRAYKER for the signature! :)

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: The underrated and the overrated
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 09:20:53 pm »
Overrated.
Dark souls 2 is overrated. I love the game to death but a certain reddit community is like worshiping it x____x.
Just it's flawed bad still but it's still a game I like xD.

Underrated
Well besides the Klonoa games. hmm. I think a lot of hand held games are too easily forgotten> I can also admit to not playing them much but once I get into a game graphics and other things with high end consoles and PCs don't mean crap to me xD

Offline ✩♥Di Gi Charat♥✩

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 46
  • Meteor Mash!!♥
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 09:36:17 pm »
♥Underrated♥: PEACH COBBLER♥♥♥

♥Overrated♥: COOKIES, PIE, AND NUTELLA

Click to enlarge!♥
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 10:16:08 pm »
Underrated: Where do I begin? I COULD say Klonoa, but he's pretty much overrated here, as far as I can say. Other parts of the internet, though...he's sorta in the middle. Gex is a little lower on the scale, though I've spoken with enough people who know him by now to guess he's around that same mark. For the TRULY underrated, though...Tonic Trobuble, Graffiti Kingdom/Magic Pengel, Amazing Island, Okage, Chocobo's Dungeon (namely the second one), Jumping Flash! and No One Can Stop Mr. Domino all qualify. (I was completely euphoric when I saw Caddicarus actually reviewed that game.)

Overrated: Lucario. I'm not even gonna lie here. Lucario is EVERYWHERE. And while I really do love the little blue jackal, it does get annoying when he seems to come up EVERYWHERE. C'mon, fanbase. Where's the love for other awesome pokemon, like Sandslash? Or Zangoose?

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 11:19:40 pm »
Overrated: Mario games. It was ended for me when Mario saved the Princess on the first game.

Underrated: Klonoa series of course. Namco :(

Offline BinaryPulsar

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 11
  • Kore wa pen desu
    • Quotev
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:41:43 am »
Overrated: Zelda A Link to the Past, Call of Duty, most fps's

Underrated: Klonoa, Zelda Twilight Princess, Metroid Other M, Megaman Battle Network, Megaman Starforce, Freedom Planet, The Lion King snes, Killer Instinct, DKC 1 2 and 3, Okami, lots of old games i guess

Offline CacmanZero

• Moo
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 56
  • Moo's Dreams
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 02:15:42 am »
Klonoa, Ape Escape, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Shenmue, Dark Cloud adventure game.

Offline Chocolat

• Magical Grill
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 8
  • My style is rich, dope, phat in which
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 02:01:25 pm »
Underrated: Puyo Puyo.

Listen to this person Also when are we going to get any more Puyo Puyo games in PAL regions i mean pls 

Also Underrated: Dragon Quest: (Okay this is actually a really popular series in japan and all but I rarely ever see people talk about it or have even played a game beyond IX, the Monsters games in particular are really fun)
Sonic Adventure 2: (All the kids who had SA2 as their first sonic game are starting to disown it and the current kids now go on about heroes. To be honest both adventure games are great but people give SA1 more slack because to be honest it IS the better game by a good chunk, but SA2 still has a lot of merits)
Hyperdimension Neptunia: (Is considered to be pandering trash for some reason, but is actually really good. More Paper Mario than the newer Paper Mario games (Super Paper Mario does deserve more credit than it gets though)

Overrated: Annually released sports games (There is no need to update more than once every 2-3 years. Also adding micro transactions to a game that will be outdated in a year is just rude
Crash Bandicoot 3: It's like Crash 2 only easier, gimmickier and with lamer secrets. At least the bosses are good this time
Team Fortress 2: Take Quake/Unreal Tournament, add a nice class system then add a load of unbalanced items and ebin maymays and you get the plebian hit of the decade.
Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her, you are not alone.

Offline SuperKlonoa64

• demonic snorlax
  • Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 06:44:24 pm »
Overrated: peanut butter & jelly x_x

underrated: peanut butter & CHOCOLATE :D
Note to self: Attend site more often.

Offline ✩♥Di Gi Charat♥✩

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 46
  • Meteor Mash!!♥
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 06:50:44 pm »
Overrated: peanut butter & jelly x_x

underrated: peanut butter & CHOCOLATE :D

Click to enlarge!♥
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.