Browsing this site on a smartphone? Be sure to browse it in landscape for the best experience!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: My Klonoa Wii edits  (Read 5739 times)

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
My Klonoa Wii edits
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:03:49 pm »
A few days ago I discovered the joys of texture editing in Dolphin (Gamecube/Wii emulator). Instead of bombarding this post with images and videos, I'll just link to my twitter thread with everything in it.

https://twitter.com/saturn_reMIX/status/923075237377462272

Now I have a question for something I'd really like to do but I am unsure I will be able to figure it out at this rate: I want to do custom sound effects/music for the game. Is it possible?

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: My Klonoa Wii edits
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:29:46 pm »
It has been a long long time since I tried modding the wii but I kept what I used and such on my pc.

You will need brawlbox. If I remember correctly sound fx are in phantom_snd.brsar but also I remember getting some voice lines

https://github.com/libertyernie/brawltools/releases

Also the folder phantomsound should be under but on the wii file systeme or disc image I think the game should be called R96PAF for PAL and might be something else for ntsc.
I could have sworn there was another tool I used but I don't remember it yet.

In my really old mod I changed The windmill song to the Noxious Lalakoosha theme from Klonoa 2 but for some reason I couldn't get the sound to loop like it was supposed too.

Edit: oh yeah also these files affect enemy placement and what object spawn in what part of a vision however I don't know how to edit them directly. Swapping them around has various interesting results like getting rangolango to appear at the start of vision 1-1 but most of the time things just crash
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:42:00 pm by Vokadae »

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:57:14 pm »

Well, I've got Brawlbox and accessed all the sounds.. and did what I think was replace a sound effect too. Now my issue is getting it to play in the game itself. The problem is I am editing and viewing these files outside of the ISO because I can't actually mount/look at the files through windows explorer. I yanked all the .brsar files using the filesystem tab in Dolphin.

Sorry if this is difficult to explain.

Offline Questklonoa

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 16
  • Tiger-kun
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:59:28 pm »
Oh yooo!!! I am liking what you're doing on the modding so far @saturn_reMIX ! ;D

Man, if I am able to have the free time to mod my Wii Klonoa as well, although it wouldn't be possible, because I can't change/edit textures at all :embarassed:

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:15:35 pm »
I had a way of loading a wii game folder on dolphin but it was on dolhpin 3.0 and it didn't always want to work.

I'll try to relearn it again and see if I can get it to work on the newer dolphin or find the old version I used for modding.

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 04:41:43 pm »
Ok so I'll explain the new way of modding because my old method now results in the wii OS error #002 and nothing I have tried has fixed it. So I have another method that also works but is a bit more convoluted but better than nothing.

I'mma add this to my ancient thread too in after a bit more testing

Ok lets start with the Klonoa Wii image.

• If your Klonoa disc image is already an ISO you can skip this part if not then you need to make it back into an iso first. I've only had success with wii backup manager so far. Add your Klonoa wbfs file to wii backup manager and transfer it to an iso and make sure you have enough room for it in the save locatoin.
    Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
  • Now you need to download wiiscrubber extract that and click on MakeKeyBin and give it the number 42 to generate.
    Now open Wiiscrubber and load the Klonoa iso you had or just made
  • You can extract the files from the iso or replace them if you already have replacement files in this case I am just going to change Klonoa's model and animations which are under US/Character on the image to the ones I did for the Joka mod a long time back changing P00 which is Klonoa in his default costume "Which will also likey cause crashes but good enough for this"
  • Now for some reason I can't boot the edited iso directly but I can use SCRUB on wii scrubber to resave the iso as a compressed iso and Dolphin will boot that with mods

End result is Klonoa is gonna have some really weird dreams from the first cutscene and we now have a semi working Playable Joka with some glitchy animations

Also here are the files for my old Joka mod but if admin asks me to remove them I will have too.  https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApvhE5IQccJMgzQ_Vy-lJhOq0j-J

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 05:17:17 pm »
Also sorry I got confused / am a bit sick + a bit busy anyways for example take phantomsound.brsar and open it in brawlbox then go to the folder S for sound effects and voices you can replace Klonoa's ear flapping which is p00060 with another sound by importing a wav file. I'll need to mess with editing them again my self to make sure it works. I think I last did this stuff in 2014 or 2015

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 06:26:20 pm »
The wiiscrubber thing was very helpful however it seems my edited sounds aren't actually making it into the game despite me replacing the .brsar inside it. Brawlbox doesn't seem to actually be making the changes or what I am doing is messing up the file instead. Maybe my custom voice .wavs have to be changed to fit the files inside the game I am replacing? Who knows.

Reopening the .brar file after editing it gives me this error. :/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:28:09 pm by saturn_reMIX »

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 06:29:41 pm »
I'll see what I can figure out later on. I know I had some method for it but it definitely wasn't perfect :x

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 05:32:13 pm »
Ah took me a bit to remember but it turns out that if you are on PAL Klonoa Wii you have to edit Phantom_snd_uk.brsar for changes on the english language mode including the phantomillian. Likewise the same for any of the other languages. The original Phantom_snd_.brasar might be just for  Korean Klonoa Wii though that one also has all the other languages too except for Japanese  :unsure: .

Also so far I am not getting the error on brawlbox 0.78 hotfix 1 but I'll try again later on when I get some time.

I think maybe after every edit you will have to close and reopen brawlbox then reload the file to avoid that error mess : x
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:35:53 pm by Vokadae »