Admins here are usually hiding in the shadows. We hate bright light.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: do klonoa fans hate sonic fans?  (Read 7394 times)

Offline baraksha

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
do klonoa fans hate sonic fans?
« on: July 22, 2016, 08:43:55 am »
this is a little something I herd of lately and I just wanted to ask. from what I noticed that some klonoa fans who don't prefer klonoa 2's design is because it looks like a sonic character. I also sew something about hating on how sonic fans draw klonoa as "super klonoa" which is basically a naked klonoa with white fur, i'm not so sure about any other problems, but you can tell me about it if you want to. all I want to say is that i'm a huge sonic fan, hack i'm writing this right before the sonic 25th aniversary party which will reveal sonic's future and possibly next game and i'm exited. but my love to sonic is kind of why I started playing klonoa. you see it all started when I stumbled upon "Stepping Wind" from klonoa 2 on youtube. the video showed a picture of klonoa and I really liked his design and reminded me of sonic in a way and that kind of what triggered me to try it out and I fell in love with this series and I already finished every game in the series...well...accapt klonoa heroes due to language problems (hope the fan made translation will be ready) and Klonoa Volleyball. but still, I think klonoa's sonic like design might  be helping the series have more recognition due to other sonic fans he may look at him and think the same things I did. So do you think the newer design is that horrible?

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: do klonoa fans hate sonic fans?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 08:46:44 am »
I don't remember Klonoa fans hateing sonic fans. At least definitely not around here on untamed heart.
One of my close friends @Fuzzball who may not be on much I had known since 2012 was a huge sonic fan.

I am curious however if / who is spreading FUD.

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 10:06:19 am »
this is a little something I herd of lately and I just wanted to ask. from what I noticed that some klonoa fans who don't prefer klonoa 2's design is because it looks like a sonic character. I also sew something about hating on how sonic fans draw klonoa as "super klonoa" which is basically a naked klonoa with white fur.
I don't remember anyone who hates LV Klonoa or Super Klonoa on the forums. But users on here on general likes DtP Klonoa more simply because they started series with DtP.

I'm a huge sonic fan.
And we are all fans of other games. I don't see a issue with Sonic fans on here.

My love to sonic is kind of why I started playing klonoa. you see it all started when I saw a picture of klonoa and I really liked his design and reminded me of sonic in a way and that kind of what triggered me to try it out and I fell in love with this series and I already finished every game in the series...well...accapt klonoa heroes due to language problems (hope the fan made translation will be ready) and Klonoa Volleyball.
While how you started Klonoa is not too much important, how you played nearly all the games is really impressive.

I think klonoa's sonic like design might  be helping the series have more recognition due to other sonic fans he may look at him and think the same things I did.
This is the point where I don't agree with you. Because while we are not hating the sonic fans, we hate people who thinks Klonoa is a side character on Sonic games. Klonoa have it's own franchise which most people on here think it' better than Sonic's, and making him like Sonic character don't fit the Klonoa games at all.

Offline Magus

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: -20
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:59:42 am »
I'm a Sonic fan and I think the "Sonic" design is a lot better than the original younger looking one to me. He looks more hip and cool (lack of a better term) and more like a teenager.  I'm also glad they ditched that oversized collar on him. It looked awkward. And besides, I don't think he looks THAT much of a Sonic character. Everytime people mention that he looks like one I get a little confused. Some would say that he has a muzzle like a Sonic character (Such as Cream and Tails). Thing is, though... He's based on two animals, a cat and a rabbit. There are cat breeds (most notably Tuxedo cat which they have the same pattern as Klonoa, minus the ears of course and the belly is debatable.) that have white muzzles and bellies and the rest of their fur is a different color. So this is a completely normal thing to do.  There's also debates with his ears being similar to Cream. I say, it's the other way around. Klonoa (1998) has had flappy long ears way before Cream (2003) even  existed as an idea. Do you know who else had flappy long ears? Lopunny. So, Klo is not much of a Sonic character apart from his eyes.
I'm John Doe and I'm anonymous.

Offline mnstrmthd

• Cursed
  • Dreamer Rating: 32
  • inactive
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 11:51:52 am »
I feel like this is the Great Myth of Klonoa fans, lol

No, we don't hate Sonic fans. I don't really keep up with games anymore, but I used to like Sonic games a lot.

I personally prefer the LV outfit (though I think his original outfit is cute too, especially in Moonlight Museum's artwork), and never thought it looked Sonic-y, even when I first discovered him.
Like Rup said, we get a little annoyed when people see him and call him a Sonic character. I can see where the styles are similar in minor areas, but that sort of thing happens all the time. Play one game and you'll see they're completely different entities that aren't really comparable. They're totally different genres, stories, and themes. The only time I get really angry at people is if they look at Klonoa for two seconds and decide, infallibly, that he's a Sonic rip-off with no merits of his own. Even then, I get over it in 5 minutes.

I have a vague hunch where you heard this stuff, and I'm not going to address it. I'm just going to say that we try not to talk about Super Klonoa here, just due to some old drama that we don't want stirred up. Let sleeping dogs lie, etc. I don't think anyone hates SK as a concept, though.

TL;DR no we don't hate Sonic fans, nor Klonoa's LV outfit

Offline VividThought

• A blowing
  • Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • I make music, art, and... uhh... bad animation.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 12:38:45 pm »
My favorite Sonic character is Mickey Mouse... take that in for a bit.

The only way that comparison is a that big of a deal to a few people is when eventually, nothing happens aside from a few emotional harm, wasted time, and more hatred for something that doesn't truly deserve the hate because of some random stranger that likes their stuff.

This kind of stuff is really not something that should be argued about if neither SEGA or Namco are going to fight about it anyways.

Just go read a book or something. Spend your time more wisely than creating these problems.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 12:43:34 pm by VividThought »

Offline Artsy

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 18
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 12:42:03 pm »
I think the only time I've ever heard of people disliking the LV design was in a YouTube comment when they said they preferred the originality of the first DTP design...

I like both designs, and I'm an avid fan of the Sonic comics, just like I'm an avid fan of Klonoa.

Idk why some people like to paint this Fandom as hateful to the point where newcomers have to ask questions like these or feel unwelcomed...  :sad_face:

Offline Questklonoa

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 16
  • Tiger-kun
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 02:26:47 pm »
Well, I have also seen any Klonoa fans hating on Sonic fans so far, to me.

I've used to be a fan of the Sonic series, now being completely neutral to the Sonic series.

I feel that it's kind of a misconception between the Klonoa and Sonic community, as many thought of the misconceptions, such as the similar designs, especially with Tails. :unsure:

All in all, the hate between the two communities is VERY small, at least I think so. However, I'm super unsure.

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 03:34:22 pm »
from what I noticed that some klonoa fans who don't prefer klonoa 2's design is because it looks like a sonic character.
To be honest, that's what caught my attention to Klonoa; his similar design to Sonic. But beyond that, they're completely different beyond every way, and I accept that.

I also sew something about hating on how sonic fans draw klonoa as "super klonoa" which is basically a naked klonoa with white fur, i'm not so sure about any other problems, but you can tell me about it if you want to.
Hoo boy, Super Klonoa. That's another can of worms. From what I understand, no one is angry about Super Klonoa, people tend to keep away/ignore the creator of Super Klonoa due to a lot of drama that he caused in the past.

all I want to say is that i'm a huge sonic fan, hack i'm writing this right before the sonic 25th aniversary party which will reveal sonic's future and possibly next game and i'm exited. but my love to sonic is kind of why I started playing klonoa.
Nothing wrong with that. I'm still a Sonic fan and I'm a Klonoa fan. As I mentioned before I stumbled into Klonoa because of the Sonic-like design.

I think klonoa's sonic like design might  be helping the series have more recognition due to other sonic fans he may look at him and think the same things I did. So do you think the newer design is that horrible?

I think it might have helped some. I think the Phantomile design was unique, but a bit on the cute side. Lunatea design was more like Sonic but I felt that it could have tweaked more to look like the original. The Wiimake's design is okay, doesn't look Sonic-like as much but they made him look older when he should look younger (since he definitlely looked younger in Phantomile than he did Lunatea. So with that said, I feel like the best design is the Noctis Sol design, which sort of combines the other three designs together.

Offline sylith

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • Orbs light my path.
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 07:51:56 am »
i dont rlly care about what the fans done to klonoa
so im fine with sonic fans
hullo!