For each time you go to Idle Chatter, Lolo trips over an object.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: The art topic of Sonic-styled and Super Klonoa.  (Read 9506 times)

Offline Super Klonoa

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
  • The Dreamer of Light
The art topic of Sonic-styled and Super Klonoa.
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:09:35 am »
Yep, this rather finicky subject from the old KFC forums that I've regrettably caused so much drama about. Mostly because I was being a fanboy about it.

Welp, whether you agree or disagree with the idea of an unclothed Sonic-styled Klonoa as well as a Super form (and I won't bother creating a separate topic on this because I know what everyone's going to say in it. Rather predictable, really), at least there's the possibility of you finding it an interesting concept, right? I mean, if nothing else, you can see this as a parody of the confusion people have with Klonoa when they mistakenly think of him being from Sonic.

Well, before the Arabian guy started his Klonoa Fan Club, on the temporary forum before that, people didn't agree about Klonoa being unclothed like Sonic, but at least they found it interesting. (Didn't ask about Super Klonoa at the time because I didn't come up with it yet) So much that most, or some, of the artists there jumped into my request topic and drew him. Just him (the Lunatean version of him, that is) with the hat, gloves, shoes, and collar. No shirt or shorts on.

So, whatever your stance on the subject is, at least it would be a good break of the norm and do your own take on this what-if scenario, right? Therefore, this topic will be used for all Sonic-styled Klonoa artwork as well as Super Klonoa. So feel free to participate whenever.

I'll start this off with a few noteworthy pieces (links only, btw).

http://sonicsketch.deviantart.com/art/Switched-Hats-397987857 (MLP crossover) - This artist normally does Klonoa in his blue outfit, and sometimes in Sonic style. For this one, she doesn't know what drove her to do him unclothed in this. Its probably because clothes are a rare sight in the world of Equestria.

http://jiraachistar.deviantart.com/art/Night-Dreamer-98812486 - Old pic. Done in secret until I found out about it. The artist used to draw a lot of Sonic/Klonoa crossovers, including a request of mine where Sonic had convinced him to try living the life without the clothes: http://jiraachistar.deviantart.com/art/Free-Like-the-Wind-XD-111608801

http://kththeartist.deviantart.com/art/LS-RQ-Just-laying-around-304789392 - Ever wanted to go outside and rest in the breezy outdoors with little clothing as possible? Klonoa did, and it felt relaxing. lol XD

Onto Super Klonoa now...

http://super-rainbow-dash-1.deviantart.com/art/Super-Klonoa-391217145 - My common avatar, used wherever I go on the Net. This was done by an El Salvadorean artist whose artwork looked like it could rival both SEGA and Namco's official artwork. If you've seen this on Google: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/supersonicx/klonoa____by_foxy_the_wolf-d5bp47m_zps3470fccc.png~original Then know that it was done by the same artist, who sadly left DA for the second time. =/

http://sonicsketch.deviantart.com/art/Super-Klonoa-372387493 - The ani gif posted earlier. One of the reasons why I preferred Klonoa in Sonic style is because of his fur as it goes all white. Seeing him with clothes on would just reduce the awesomeness of it, IMO.

http://bloomphantom.deviantart.com/art/PC-Super-Klonoa-308606328 - Super Klonoa with the Wind Sword. Rather than be a cliched fist brawler, why not be a Jedi Master of Light? Goes to show you that just because Klonoa has a Super form doesn't mean he has to fight like a Super Saiyan.

http://murasaki-no-kitsune.deviantart.com/art/Super-Klonoa-Request-464055288 - Done just last night. Being unclothed, btw, makes him look more natural when it comes to dynamic poses like this.

So, again, whatever your stance is on this, I hope you'll at least find it interesting. Again, feel free to do your own pic of him, especially if you're a good artist like AlphaRed is here.

And with that, I'm out.

PSN ID: Super_Klonoa

Offline Voka~Daemyn

• Old Tree
  • Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 70
  • Squiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrle
Re: The art topic of Sonic-styled and Super Klonoa.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 12:19:28 am »
I cannot decide what to think yet so I'll just be watching the topic for a while instead.

It is a different direction just not one I normally think of much.
delerium typeing sorry.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:30:11 am by Daemyn »

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:15:02 pm »
Where to start? Well, to begin with I will admit that when the first time I saw Klonoa I originally thought he was a Sonic character. So with that said, do I think Sonic and Klonoa looks similar? You bet your bagels I do. However, that's where the similarities stop.

Sonic and Klonoa have two varied personalities, by far. Sonic in particular is the cool, laid back one, the dude with 'tude if I recall from the 90s commercials of long ago. While Sonic does care, he is rather egotistical in a sense, and it really shows in his personal. He's confident, he mocks his adversaries. He has since the first game had many abilites. When the whole world's in trouble everyone calls on Sonic to save the day, and he has no doubts. Chao Emeralds only futher enhances the abilities he has. Sonic needs little to no help.

Klonoa on the other hand is timid. He's childlike, from all the games he's been in, and that hasn't changed. He's kind and a bit naive. He does doubt himself a little bit at times but he's always willing to give it anything a try. He's also, in the main games, decieved and used as a pawn. Klonoa has very limited abilities (excluding Klonoa Heroes) so he's essentially powerless without his ring. Capturing enemies with his ring gives him a very temporary ability. He helps his friends yet he also relies on them.

Neither of these personalites are bad in theirselves. I like Sonic, been a fan since the first game, but I know what to expect with his games over the years. He get ups, plows through things and does with with grace. However with Klonoa, I just happen to like him more. Between the bosses he fights, he's just one little boy trying to make the difference armed with nothing more than a ring versus an enemy much more powerful than him, in a world he doesn't belong. With Sonic, if he can't beat it, he can always transform to save the day.

To me, that's why I believe Klonoa doesn't need any ability  or transformations. Despite having limited abilites, he's able to overcome obstacles and adversaries with his skills and aid of others. To me, that speaks volumes.

Oh, also, as far as having no clothing on, it's a matter of opnion. Anthromorphs are usually a creature with human-like characteristics (human-like legs, arms etc.) to abilities (such talking, planning abstract and long-term ieas) This also extends to clothing, as no other animal wears clothing. But again, that's all due to artistic choice. I mean, using that same logic,  Amy Rose, Rouge, or Blaze shouldn't wear clothes either, but no one's making an item out of that.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:19:32 pm by the_darai »

Offline Super Klonoa

• Moo
  • The Dreamer of Light
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:35:56 am »
Sonic and Klonoa have two varied personalities, by far. Sonic in particular is the cool, laid back one, the dude with 'tude if I recall from the 90s commercials of long ago. While Sonic does care, he is rather egotistical in a sense, and it really shows in his personal. He's confident, he mocks his adversaries. He has since the first game had many abilites. When the whole world's in trouble everyone calls on Sonic to save the day, and he has no doubts.
In all the 14 years I've been a fan of these two, I actually never considered their personalities to be similar. I mean, its way too obvious, honestly. And it would be indeed unfitting if Klonoa started acting like Sonic. I prefer him as the happy, yet serious cat that he is, really. Especially serious. It makes him look badass, especially while as an albino. ^_^

Klonoa on the other hand is timid. He's childlike, from all the games he's been in, and that hasn't changed. He's kind and a bit naive. He does doubt himself a little bit at times but he's always willing to give it anything a try. He's also, in the main games, decieved and used as a pawn. Klonoa has very limited abilities (excluding Klonoa Heroes) so he's essentially powerless without his ring. Capturing enemies with his ring gives him a very temporary ability. He helps his friends yet he also relies on them.

Unfortunately, this is the part where I have to be a bit negative. But hey, its only my opinion after all, so... Hm.

You're right on the fact that he's useless without his ring, seen in the Kingdom of Indecision part in Klonoa 2. However, to me, that makes him a little teeny bit less interesting. And boring. No offense. If he doesn't have any innate abilities or other weapons of his own, that makes him like your everyday average joe. As I've said, I find average joes to be boring. But on the other hand, I suppose that makes him more relatable to the person playing him. Experience what he goes through and all. He's basically your avatar, in other words. Something clearly obvious in the Wiimake of DtP, where Klonoa is effectively rendered a mute with Huepow speaking for him until the ending. I tend to dislike silent protagonists, really, but it won't detract enough to make me hate the game itself. Such as in Chrono Trigger, I guess.

I prefer Klonoa having some additional abilities/weapons of his own. That's why I seem to like Klonoa Heroes, 'cause there, he has a lot of weapons as well as two screen-clearing attacks. That's the direction I'd like to see Klonoa in. Yeeeeeaaaahhhh... lol

But again, I understand the "average joe" direction and in turn, not needing a Super form.

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 01:47:43 am »
In all the 14 years I've been a fan of these two, I actually never considered their personalities to be similar. I mean, its way too obvious, honestly. And it would be indeed unfitting if Klonoa started acting like Sonic. I prefer him as the happy, yet serious cat that he is, really. Especially serious. It makes him look badass, especially while as an albino. ^_^

That's just me setting up for what I was trying to say about transformation and such.

Unfortunately, this is the part where I have to be a bit negative. But hey, its only my opinion after all, so... Hm.

You're right on the fact that he's useless without his ring, seen in the Kingdom of Indecision part in Klonoa 2. However, to me, that makes him a little teeny bit less interesting. And boring. No offense. If he doesn't have any innate abilities or other weapons of his own, that makes him like your everyday average joe. As I've said, I find average joes to be boring. But on the other hand, I suppose that makes him more relatable to the person playing him. Experience what he goes through and all. He's basically your avatar, in other words. Something clearly obvious in the Wiimake of DtP, where Klonoa is effectively rendered a mute with Huepow speaking for him until the ending. I tend to dislike silent protagonists, really, but it won't detract enough to make me hate the game itself. Such as in Chrono Trigger, I guess.

I prefer Klonoa having some additional abilities/weapons of his own. That's why I seem to like Klonoa Heroes, 'cause there, he has a lot of weapons as well as two screen-clearing attacks. That's the direction I'd like to see Klonoa in. Yeeeeeaaaahhhh... lol

But again, I understand the "average joe" direction and in turn, not needing a Super form.

I don't know. Just to me, I sort of like having the 'ordinary joe' thing going for me. I mean nowadays you see this 'transcending beyond ordinary' thing played out a lot in animes, movies, and games a lot,  so to me having someone who is limited makes it something I can relate. I think the fight Klonoa had with Polonte sort of drives th point home. He didn't have the ring, but he still tried halfway. And then  you have Popka with his dialogue with Lolo, and really that just helps establishes a lot about Klonoa IMHO. I don't think you need to be super to prove yourself worthy of a hero is what I'm saying. Going up and beyond the call of duty does.

Klonoa Heroes is a fun game BTW. Hopefully I can get back to translation patch soon.

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Not a fan of Sonic/Pokemon
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 04:15:42 am »
I wonder why you see Klonoa as a cat. Yeah, his character design was inspired by both cat and rabbit, but it doesn't mean he has to be one of these two, or something between them. Plus I have a cat and I love to play with her, so when someone mentions "cat", I always think of real ones. Calling him a resident of another world seems more natural to me. You know, Klonoa is referred to as a boy in the game manuals. If any design based on the creatures we know should all be called anthropomorphic, then there won't be so many alien-themed movies. (WOW...I'm quite talkative *facepalm*)

Badass? I don't understand. Well...maybe sometimes he really is, or least looks like. I just prefer Klonoa as the way he is.

Average joe?  Why someone is a average Joe, because he have no special abilities?
Klonoa does leave a curious, childlike and determined impression on me (especially in Lunatea's Veil), and I believe anyone who has strong wills can still fight. Can't mental toughness be considered one of the innate abilities? You know those who changed world and made history in our world do not have super strength. During the first stage of Polonte boss fight, Klonoa slams the boss with his hoverboard instead - for there's no power source in his ring. I can't see why Klonoa is a average Joe, as he keeps fighting his way out of difficulties even he's somewhat powerless.

Yeah, The development team seemed to make every player feel closer to Klonoa in the Wii DtP remake; however, they failed miserably. *sighs*
It's just a different way to tell the story to place a silent protagonist who serve as player's avatar in a game. In other words, this is a matter of personal preference. Don't worry if you don't really like it.

In fact, I think Klonoa Heroes is plainer than the other Klonoa games, because all you do is to defeat monsters. Other things I don't really like are you find a key behind the door you just unlocked, grinding and the simplicity of the boss battles... But I guess those are caused by the limitation of GBA hardware. The programmers had tried their best.

What I said above are not implying you are wrong, for each fan can have their own opinions. I'm just glad to know what are you thinking, and I want to share my views, too. What would the forum be when the members won't tell others what they feel? Hmm...

Speaking of the super form, there's a "intoner mode" which blows my mind, as if I saw a beautiful flower bloomed right in front of me...
http://youtu.be/lv6tKCffP7w?t=6m56s It's really, really beautiful to me. CAUTION : Contains violence
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:37:08 pm by RollingMeowcat »
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline YouDontKnowWhoIam

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 15
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:06:27 pm »
(The following sums up my reaction to attempting to read this thread)

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 02:27:27 pm »
MISSION COMPLETE

Offline Super Klonoa

• Moo
  • The Dreamer of Light
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 02:33:54 pm »
I wonder why you see Klonoa as a cat. Yeah, his character design was inspired by both cat and rabbit, but it doesn't mean he has to be one of these two, or something between them. Plus I have a cat and I love to play with her, so when someone mentions "cat", I always think of real ones. Calling him a resident of another world seems more natural to me. You know, Klonoa is referred to as a boy in the game manuals. If any design based on the creatures we know should all be called anthropomorphic, then there won't be so many alien-themed movies. (WOW...I'm quite talkative *facepalm*)

Badass? I don't understand. Well...maybe sometimes he really is, or least looks like. I just prefer Klonoa as the way he is.

Well, honestly, I think I agree with Yoshizawa when he said it was up to us to decide which species he is. And I think I prefer that, really, unless Namco decides that he must be a species. So even though the manuals say he was a "boy," and mind you, they were done over a decade ago, at least they're giving us the power of interpretation. The freedom to choose.

You see him as simply something from another world. I see him as a long-eared cat. Others see otherwise, etc. Let's leave it at that.

Just saying. >_>

During the first stage of Polonte boss fight, Klonoa slams the boss with his hoverboard instead - for there's no power source in his ring. I can't see why Klonoa is a average Joe, as he keeps fighting his way out of difficulties even he's somewhat powerless.

...Can't argue with that, really. lol. I guess Klonoa IS pretty strong in his own right... Ah, but then again, he was aided by those booster things in the boss fight, and basically anything going at a fast speed is usually stronger than brute strength alone. Whether its a gameplay mechanic or an actual show of strength is a debate for another topic, though.

Maybe above-average joe is the proper term here, then. Strong willed or not, though, he's still pretty powerless without his ring, really. So its either his ring, or through the Magic of Friendship. Usually a combo of both, since the ring requires someone of magical affinity to be in it anyway. Hmm.

In fact, I think Klonoa Heroes is plainer than the other Klonoa games, because all you do is to defeat monsters.

That's basically what an RPG is. You go around, visit towns, defeat enemies, level up, etc. I could also argue that the platforming genre is just as plain, if not plainer. Jump around, stomp/throw/homing attack enemies, and get to the end and defeat bosses. But I'm not going to, because I know each genre is different, and not everyone's going to like each. It's all a matter of preference.

To me, I like my action. I could say more, but it'd be going off-topic. So all I can say is that Klonoa's platforming, well, needs an expansion at least. Because to me, though its good, its also a little bare bones compared to Mario and Sonic. And we would be there had we continued the series past the number 2 in the main series.

(The following sums up my reaction to attempting to read this thread)

Nice contribution to the discussion here. =/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:50:24 pm by Super Klonoa »

Offline Super Klonoa

• Moo
  • The Dreamer of Light
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 06:21:25 pm »
Sorry for the bump. But I've had this commissioned over the summer:

Full size here: http://blazinglillyartz.deviantart.com/art/Super-Klonoa-475244135

Other than that, I can't say that I've done much, or will do much, with him because of Super Rainbow Dash. Maybe when FiM is over, I'll get back to Klonoa.