Vincentmrl's Mac can make origami out of hamburga french fry. Don't ask how.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Gaming platform general discusson  (Read 9264 times)

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Not a fan of Sonic/Pokemon
Gaming platform general discusson
« on: August 09, 2014, 11:25:14 am »
No, I don't hope they port the games to PC. Pirating would make porting not profitable at all.
And playing the Klonoa games on a big TV screen = FTW.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:10:25 am by RollingMeowcat »
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline Gyzyn

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
Re: Gaming platform general discusson
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 12:11:25 pm »
^Implying that piracy is not a problem on consoles, LOL. Implying that connecting a PC to a big TV screen is a problem, ROTFL. No offence, but you just made some big claims, without any arguments backing them up. Couldn't help it, I had to reply.

Also this: http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/pc-games-have-surpassed-console-games-globally/033849

It's true that there is more piracy on the pc platform, but assuming that even 50% of the people who downloaded a pirated copy of the game would buy it in the first place, if piracy didn't exist, is ridiculous. Also as in the link above, pc market brings more money then any of the console platforms.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:17:34 am by RollingMeowcat, Reason: change subject for the mistake I\'ve made :p »

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 12:36:56 pm »
^Implying that piracy is not a problem on consoles, LOL. Implying that connecting a PC to a big TV screen is a problem, ROTFL. No offence, but you just made some big claims, without any arguments backing them up. Couldn't help it, I had to reply.

Also this: http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/pc-games-have-surpassed-console-games-globally/033849

It's true that there is more piracy on the pc platform, but assuming that even 50% of the people who downloaded a pirated copy of the game would buy it in the first place, if piracy didn't exist, is ridiculous. Also as in the link above, pc market brings more money then any of the console platforms.

I know I can hook my PC to my TV, so to me I think it would make sense to put on Steam (since nowadays current gen consoles are just basically x86 computers anyway.) But yeah, porting to all consoles even to the Wii U would be great.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:24:10 am by RollingMeowcat »

Offline NebulaVista

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 14
  • Archivist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 12:44:39 pm »
No, I don't hope they port the games to PC. Pirating would make porting not profitable at all.
And playing the Klonoa games on a big TV screen = FTW.

1. Piracy is hardly an issue if it were released on Steam. (Plus it could be multiplat too.)

2. Buy an HDMI cable and plug it into your graphics card's HDMI output. Now plug that into your TV. Problem solved.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:24:28 am by RollingMeowcat »

Offline Gyzyn

• Hero in Training
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 12:51:12 pm »
@the_darai
I mean, the consoles used to be convenient. All you had to do was insert the disk, and you could start the game. What about the current gen? Now the only console that plays straight from the disk is Wii U.
Now it is more like this:

- insert the game
- install it
- wait until it downloads an update, because the developers didn't even bother finishing the game to the point it is actually playable
- wait until it installs the update
- play

What is the advantage of consoles nowadays? Maybe they are a little bit more affordable, but on the other hand, STEAM offers some crazy deals, that easily will make up for the price.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:23:56 am by RollingMeowcat »

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 01:12:35 pm »

At least M$ and Sony can ban your gaming consoles, while Valve(or other PC game service providers) can only ban your account, not your PC. Plus $team won't host every potentially good game.

I don't have a lanparty PC, and I don't want to move my "normal" PC to the living room then move it back every time, not to mention the cables. Wireless display? Never tried it, sorry. Besides, how about the controllers - oh, maybe they can transmit signals over wireless LAN, too. Wait, I don't even think about the possibility that you have more than one TV or PC, your PC is placed near the TV or you've got a powerful laptop. Problem solved, right?

Well, I checked the link. I can tell PC is the bed of roses for MOBA, MMO, strategy, and FPS shooting. Classic platformers? IDK. Maybe they should sleep on the floor.

@NebulaVista Hey, my old TV have no hdmi, nor DVI. Care to give me some free money to buy a new one? :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:18:52 am by RollingMeowcat »
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline Gyzyn

• Hero in Training
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 01:36:26 pm »
@RollingMeowcat
First of all, why would you have to move your pc to the living room? Long HDMI cables are cheap as dirt. There are wireless keyboards and mouses, or even controllers too... and no, they don't connect through wireless lan, I don't even know where did you get that idea, actually.

Secondly, I wouldn't be happy if some company had the power to lock my pc, it is my hardware, I don't want such invigilation. Nextly, you cannot play online on pc while using pirated games.

"Steam won't host every potential game?" Your point? It doesn't have to, the library is huge, and getting bigger. The huge majority of pc games is available on steam. This argument doesn't make sense. If out of 100 games one is not available on steam that completely erodes all the discounts you can get while gaming on pc? Of course not.

The point of the article is that unlike the opinion of some fanboys, PC gaming is not dying. Quite the opposite, really. It proves that pc platform is financially profitable, unlike the things you were implying.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:56:46 am by Gyzyn »

Offline John3210

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 4
  • Do you even praise the sun?
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 01:42:49 pm »
Mmmh, yes. Maybe with some expensive things you can improve greatly the graphic and I do admit that Steam does some of the most insane sales. But, there is not good without bad, I mean, I can live without Rock Simulator on my Ps3
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:25:01 am by RollingMeowcat »
My Quote:

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 01:44:02 pm »
@the_darai
I mean, the consoles used to be convenient. All you had to do was insert the disk, and you could start the game. What about the current gen? Now the only console that plays straight from the disk is Wii U.
Now it is more like this:

- insert the game
- install it
- wait until it downloads an update, because the developers didn't even bother finishing the game to the point it is actually playable
- wait until it installs the update
- play

What is the advantage of consoles nowadays? Maybe they are a little bit more affordable, but on the other hand, STEAM offers some crazy deals, that easily will make up for the price.
"The consoles used to be convenient." Totally agreed. _(:3/ L)_
The game developers today seem to like publishing games before testing(or their bosses tell them to do so. Ever heard of cost-down?). What's more, the silly update systems make everything worse.

I think we're getting out of the original topic now, and I kinda started it...ohhhh I want to hide myself, yet I still have things to say. Shall we split the topic now?

EDIT: Need to go now...maybe someone can help?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:25:14 am by RollingMeowcat »
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline Gyzyn

• Hero in Training
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 02:07:58 pm »
@RollingMeowcat
Yes, I'm pretty sure that your averege developer is not the one to blame, should have eloborated myself, though it was a humorous inclusion. Satire shouldn't be elaborated, because it losses the laugh value, though it was pretty bad in the first place.

I would love to continue our discussion. So, for the sake of convenience, I would be grateful, if you start a new thread.

EDIT:
Or I can start it, it doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:25:27 am by RollingMeowcat »