The Klonoa Wiimake made a fatal mistake in renaming Joka. It better not happen again.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Favorite Klonoa Game  (Read 7986 times)

Offline Aura24

• Goddess Claire
  • Dreamer Rating: 43
    • DeviantArt
Favorite Klonoa Game
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 09:25:02 pm »
The most emotional scene that got me crying when I was little was Door to Phantomile...
Administrator, Founder, and Fan of Klonoa.
Game channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/CrystalBlazier/

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 20
Favorite Klonoa Game
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 09:46:29 pm »
Quite honestly, I loved the Wii remake. Yeah it made things easier, and the localization was crap, but there was just so much to love.

First of all, the controls were more finely-tuned. Klonoa played more precisely, which was a godsend for those segments in Cress with the tiny platforms. They also went all-out with the original voice work, actually re-recording the Phantomilian dialogue rather than simply reusing the existing voice track. This allowed for some great new performances such as Bin Shimada as Joka. The graphics also got a huge overhaul, taking advantage of the technology to allow for more details in the foreground and background. The water in Jugpot shimmers and reflects as if it were real, and the crystal walls of Cress remain one of the most beautiful sights I've ever beheld in a game!

There's also the cinematography. In the original, because the characters were 2D sprites, most cutscenes only showed things from a side view with an occasional zoom in. The remake though allowed for some great shots from many different angles, even getting right up in the faces of the characters to show off the emotion in them. Yeah the really nice looking pre-rendered scenes are gone, but what you're left with is better looking as a whole.

I also really liked Klonoa's new look. It kept his iconic appearance while still doing something unique. Plus there were some very subtle details to it, such as a visible flap on the back of his pants where his tail pops out. As an artist myself, that's something I find really cool since it shows that there was some thought put into how clothing for an anthropomorphic character would work.

I can certainly see why others wouldn't like it, especially because of the character name screw-ups and the crap-tastic dub, but even with those flaws I still absolutely love it.

Offline Aura24

• Goddess Claire
  • Dreamer Rating: 43
    • DeviantArt
Favorite Klonoa Game
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 11:35:28 pm »
I haven't played Klonoa Wii (ikr?), but the only thing that bugged me was the English dub.
Administrator, Founder, and Fan of Klonoa.
Game channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/CrystalBlazier/

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
Favorite Klonoa Game
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 11:38:06 pm »
Thankfully the game has two voice tracks. Just switch it to Phantomilian and you can enjoy Miss Watanabe in the lead role instead of the nobody they got for the English track :3

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
Favorite Klonoa Game
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 02:06:25 pm »
Quote from: "Spirit Macardi"
Thankfully the game has two voice tracks. Just switch it to Phantomilian and you can enjoy Miss Watanabe in the lead role instead of the nobody they got for the English track :3
While the English translation wasn't completely horrible, it just didn't sound like Klonoa...I mean him with a deeper voice doesn't quite match how he looks.

Offline Spirit Macardi

• Star Member
Favorite Klonoa Game
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 02:12:35 pm »
Quote from: "the_darai"
Quote from: "Spirit Macardi"
While the English translation wasn't completely horrible, it just didn't sound like Klonoa...I mean him with a deeper voice doesn't quite match how he looks.
Well yeah, it wasn't completely without merit. Laura Bailey made for a pretty good Huepow, and Jessica Straus played all her parts fantastically. Just Eric Stitt as Klonoa made my ears bleed.

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
Favorite Klonoa Game
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 03:28:21 am »
I'm really bad at picking favorites for anything.. Klonoa games included! Each game has something special about it. If I REALLY had to pick a favorite I'd say Klonoa 2 because it was the first Klonoa game I ever played and it is very close to my heart.. it got me to buy a PS2! =)

Offline Thorp

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
Favorite Klonoa Game
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 03:24:53 pm »
tbch I enjoyed the handheld versions too much. Moonlight had interesting features on select levels however EoD is my pick.

The EoD music is classic and the art is easy to look at. The ex visions are fun and challenging but all in all I think the reason EoD is above DCT's exs is the art. And though the 2D visions are easy, there are so many that they feel new...ish when replayed months later unlike DtP and LV.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:27:02 pm by confuted »

Offline mnstrmthd

• Cursed
  • Dreamer Rating: 32
  • inactive
Favorite Klonoa Game
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 08:33:40 pm »
Even though Empire of Dreams was my first Klonoa game, Lunatea's Veil will always have a special place in my heart ;__;
It's one of those games that no matter how many times I play it and no matter how much of a bad mood I'm in it'll cheer me up and mellow me out..

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
Favorite Klonoa Game
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 02:07:06 pm »
Quote from: "mnstrmthd"
Even though Empire of Dreams was my first Klonoa game, Lunatea's Veil will always have a special place in my heart ;__;
It's one of those games that no matter how many times I play it and no matter how much of a bad mood I'm in it'll cheer me up and mellow me out..

I think the handheld games gets very little to no love regarding Klonoa games, to which I thought the bosses were harder to beat, and the puzzles got even harder too. I would love Klonoa 3 to be an combination for the console and handheld style if anything.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:07:57 pm by the_darai »