Don't trust flying fish. Especially Karal.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Is it just me, or DtP feels like a Saturn game?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline rapappa the pepper

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 15
  • I do want a soulmate.
    • Rapappa The Pepper's Neo Cities
Is it just me, or DtP feels like a Saturn game?
« on: December 04, 2022, 10:30:27 am »
As we know, Klonoa DtP was released for the Playstation, and, was never really successful, well it was more in Japan i guess, but, i feel like at this point people weren't really wanting cutesy baby looking 2D (2.5d for this case) platformers, specially, in the Playstation, well the 90s definely had, an attitude in alot of places, so, yeah...

Is it just me, but, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, feels like, a Sega Saturn game...? It's hard to say, but, its obscureness (at least before PRS), its looks, presentation and all that, the usage of pre-rendered models, and the fact that Saturn was never really a western thing, uhm... What am i even talking about?  :embarassed:

I don't know, what do you think?
Is this a forum they forgot, or has the forum forgot them?
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline Eurydice Doppel

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 0
  • Can't help bein' a Gemini 🤪
Re: Is it just me, or DtP feels like a Saturn game?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 10:38:42 am »
Oh, it for sure does have a similar vibe. The Playstation, Sega Saturn, and Nintendo 64 were all a part of the same era of gaming consoles.
Artist, writer, musician, holder of many mental disorders.

Offline PhantomShiba

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • Your (probably) exhausted nerd
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 04:17:37 pm »
I've never really thought about it until now but yeah, I'm sure if someone was able to bring it to Saturn it'd probably feel right at home. The visuals, the music, everything kinda does feel like it belongs on the Saturn. If it was released on the Saturn back in the day it may have done better but then again the Saturn's sales was pretty low
-PHANTOM SHIBA (Moxie)-
(Actual age: 15 - I made a mistake on my profile :p)

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • ’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 08:38:48 pm »
I would have loved to see how the game would have looked on the Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64.

Heck, just for the lols, why not throw in the 3DO and Jaguar as well? :P

Offline SummerShores

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 09:28:22 pm »
It's hard to quantify, but I do agree - DtP definitely has the same "vibe" of something like NiGHTS.

Offline Mr.KokoPudgeFudge

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • I'm a guy who thinks way too much
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 12:40:18 pm »
I feel you, Saturn games have that feeling to them. Though objectively, it's just easier to make games for PlayStation than Saturn. The only people who bothered to make Saturn games were Sega and arcade companies, I can't really think of anyone else.

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 05:26:39 pm »
As we know, Klonoa DtP was released for the Playstation, and, was never really successful, well it was more in Japan i guess, but, i feel like at this point people weren't really wanting cutesy baby looking 2D (2.5d for this case) platformers, specially, in the Playstation, well the 90s definely had, an attitude in alot of places, so, yeah...

Is it just me, but, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, feels like, a Sega Saturn game...? It's hard to say, but, its obscureness (at least before PRS), its looks, presentation and all that, the usage of pre-rendered models, and the fact that Saturn was never really a western thing, uhm... What am i even talking about?  :embarassed:

I don't know, what do you think?

For sure, it does.
From memory it has a similar feel to Clockwork Knight (a game I really need to play).
"Wahii, rupurudu!" = "Okay, let's go!"

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 07:42:04 pm »
I actually got Clockwork Knight recently, it’s a fun game, but there’s no save feature. Makes me wonder how they forgot that!

I also got a Sega Saturn Demo Disc with the second game, which seems to play exactly the same
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 08:40:39 pm by Cobra! »

Offline PhantomShiba

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • Your (probably) exhausted nerd
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2023, 10:09:28 am »
I actually got Clockwork Knight recently, it’s a fun game, but there’s no save feature. Makes me wonder how they forgot that!

I also got a Sega Saturn Demo Disc with the second game, which seems to play exactly the sa,e
I think I've heard of that game I think I'll check it out sometime :) it sounds fun
-PHANTOM SHIBA (Moxie)-
(Actual age: 15 - I made a mistake on my profile :p)

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 08:41:46 pm »
I think I've heard of that game I think I'll check it out sometime :) it sounds fun

It is fun, but I’m a super casual gamer nowdays (Spend more time making games), so it’s annoying the game has no way of saving, and only has cheat codes to get to later level sections.