You can't hate Popka. He's a jerk with a heart of gold.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Klonoa Wii Undub Patch (Japanese voice language) and some other stuff  (Read 1957 times)

Offline NelloPed

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
Heya! This is exactly what it says on the tin: A patch for the Klonoa Wiimake (EU/US) to replace all voice languages of the EU and US versions with Japanese! Dialogue and script remains unchanged. I used BrawlCrate for basically everything. I wanted to play this game in Japanese for like 6 years and now I just did it myself.

This is not the only thing though. I have edited a few other things in the game that can be optionally applied with two patches in addition or by themselves however you like, which are:

- A change of the title screen logo to resemble the original PS1 logo while preserving the dimensions and scale of the Wiimake logo. I've used and edited the original assets extracted from my PS1 game.

- A higher resolution recreation of the PS1 game's "KLONOA -Door To Phantomile-" fade-in animation upon starting a new file using the original font (Lucida Sans) and the layout & animation data of the Japanese Wiimake. It overlays perfectly with the original PS1 text.
To make that possible I also had to replace the textures of the opening texts that come after the title's fade-in for technical reasons.
So I took that chance to retranslate the English and German opening texts to be more accurate with the Japanese text using my moderate Japanese skills and a comparing machine translation from DeepL and Google (It sounds natural, I think. But you tell me.). I wasn't able to find the font used for the Wiimake's opening texts so I sticked to the original PS1 font with additional formatting (tell me if it looks ugly so I can redesign it).

I've confirmed everything to work with original hardware on both my Wii and Wii U (vWii) and with existing saves of the original game.

Noob friendly instructions on how to apply these as well as the provided screenshots are included in the folder as well.

Write feedback!

This is the biggest fine-I'll-do-it-myself-moment I've had so far. I hope you can enjoy the very first gamehack I've done!
:big_smile:

LINK TO THE GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HKekvC8Atw0WFXUx1VOoxhk_3VdvUWHL
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 12:02:47 pm by NelloPed »

Offline Leeu

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
Re: Klonoa Wii Undub Patch (Japanese voice language) and some other stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 10:00:06 am »
One thing in the Wiimake that bothers me is how some backgrounds look fine and others are pretty blurry, like bad vision problem but in-game exclusive, it's better seeing some Visions in the noclip website than playing the actual game at times...  :(

This seems like a good start to mod Wiimake but what would be great (aside from less hearts option maybe) is the game having better backgrounds, if that is even possible  :sleeping:
For his neutral special, he enters in a gun!

Offline Megahog2014

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
  • Lets Do This!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 06:15:05 pm »
Actually that's the engine foging up the background, Like you know how some movies they'll blur out the background when they want to focus on a character? That's what the game is essentially doing.
I am me.... I do things differently from others.... I may see things in a way others don't.... I might be strange to others eyes... but to myself I am a normal person....

Offline Leeu

• Wind
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 09:26:09 am »
I don't really see what's the point of that in a platform game of all things, unless the in-game models or graphics are the reason, I'm not a game developer so I might be wrong or not undestand anything about it.
For his neutral special, he enters in a gun!

Offline mushroom32x

• Contributor
  • Dreamer Rating: 48
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 02:05:00 pm »
It wasn't the prettiest of effects but it was, in some places, used to cover up lower resolution graphics in the distance. The game has chunks of level geometry disappear outside the current view of the camera to save processing power so the game runs at a nice steady framerate. The best place to describe this is in the first level when you're up on the cliff with Lephise carved into it and in the distance there are things like the castle ruins and trees in the distance which were previously rendered in 3d but are replaced with low resolution 2D sprites the farther out you are.

Everything is rendered in 3D here.

The camera is normally pointing away from that area so parts of the level start to disappear.

We're far enough from the area now that the game replaces distant 3D objects with 2D sprites.

Hope this helps clear it up a bit.