No one knows what Rupurudu! really does. It is said he lives in the internet, eating code to keep the server running.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: The true Lunatea's veil in Klonoa 2 (speculation)  (Read 1255 times)

Offline RicAlbuquerque

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
The true Lunatea's veil in Klonoa 2 (speculation)
« on: April 26, 2020, 02:29:21 am »
So, by this point I think most of the Klonoa community agrees that the worlds of Phantomile and Lunatea are simply dreams and Klonoa is this creative kid who has adventures while dreaming. Today, though, I want to go a bit further and look at some elements from Klonoa 2's plot with this idea in mind.

I haven't played that game in a while but I do remember that one of the main goals involved going through the 4 kingdoms of Lunatea. Well, one interesting thing I don't see many people talk about much is the fact that each one corresponds to a different emotion.

"Well, we already knew that" you might be thinking, and yeah, this is true, but it might have a whole new meaning if we consider the idea of Lunatea being a dream. If Lunatea is just a creation of Klonoa's subconsciousness, then wouldn't that make each kingdom a representation of Klonoa's feelings? It's definitely an interesting thought, but I want to go even further.

Near the end of the game we (spoiler) discover that there is a 5th kingdom: the kingdom of sorrow, which has been ignored and forgotten by Lunatea's inhabitants, therefore making the King of Sorrow feel abandoned and miserable. But, if this kingdom is the physical embodiment of Klonoa's sorrow, could this mean that Klonoa is the one ignoring his sorrow? We've all been there, right? Some things just put us down and we try to ignore it, push the sorrow away instead of confronting it. That might be exactly what Klonoa is doing and that might be the true Lunatea's veil, a veil created by Klonoa himself in an attempt to push his sadness away. This is further supported by the fact that King of Sorrow looks nearly exactly like Klonoa, which could be explained if we consider that he represents one of Klonoa's emotions: a part of Klonoa's personality.

But what is making Klonoa so sad? Well, I don't know exactly, but I suspect it has to do with Door to Phantomile's ending, where he was forced to abandon Huepow and all that he had ever known (or at least thought he did) because he had to wake up from that world.

Regardless of being correct or not, I think this brings a whole new meaning to Klonoa 2's ending. Assuring King of Sorrow that Lunatea won't forget sorrow anymore is essentially Klonoa promising to himself that he won't try to run away from his sadness anymore and will instead deal with it while, at the same time, not letting it consume him.

But what do you guys think? Do you agree, disagree or think that (even if it's not correct) this idea brings a new way to look at these games?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 10:27:44 pm by ricalbuquerque »
Awaiting the return of our lord and savior Pac-Man

Offline SerialDreams

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • Huepow! Rupuruduu!
Re: The true Lunatea's veil in Klonoa 2 (speculation)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 01:59:21 am »
Yeah I feel like that's kind of unwritten common knowledge that the second game is as much about Klonoa's sorrow as it is Lolo's. What with all the callbacks to the first game in the track "Hyuponia - Ruins of Sadness".
"Wahii, rupurudu!" = "Okay, let's go!"

Offline RicAlbuquerque

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 1
Re: The true Lunatea's veil in Klonoa 2 (speculation)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 04:38:17 pm »
If Klonoa is really trying to forget about his sorrow and said sorrow is related to the events of the first game, it would make sense that Forgotten Path has a callback to Hewpoe and Klonoa playing together (if that's what you're referencing). 
Awaiting the return of our lord and savior Pac-Man