Klonoa Collective: Where our official ship is Joka x Janga.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: What if there was a 3rd action button?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline rapappa the pepper

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 15
  • I do want a soulmate.
    • Rapappa The Pepper's Neo Cities
What if there was a 3rd action button?
« on: May 29, 2023, 11:40:55 am »
Klonoa games are all basicly 2 button games, well, in Lunatea's Veil it did have the shoulder buttons functions, but, those aren't really, new mechanics, these are just, taunts, and, don't really affect anything, but what if there was a 3rd button, what do you think the 3rd action could be?  :unsure:
Is this a forum they forgot, or has the forum forgot them?
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • ’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
    • My website
Re: What if there was a 3rd action button?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 02:56:43 pm »
Klonoa is a simple game. It only needs 2 buttons. I can't even imagine what a 3rd button would do. :confused:

Offline PhantomShiba

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • Your (probably) exhausted nerd
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 12:12:13 am »
Besides what we previously talked about (the grab-mechanic & the special ability swap [using the shoulder buttons]) I don't really have any other ideas.
I mean there are some ideas I have but they wouldn't be too useful or necessary.
Maybe someone else has some good ideas, although this forum has been deathly quiet recently, so I don't know.
-PHANTOM SHIBA (Moxie)-
(Actual age: 15 - I made a mistake on my profile :p)

Offline RAYDEN

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
  • Dreams make a wish come true
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 12:22:44 am »
A future Klonoa game is likely to adopt the analog stick that could grant him a range of movement from walking to his iconic trot, walking should have some levels designed around it. Of course the D-Pad will still make Klonoa instantly move around like we are used to, but the third button can be held down to make him walk if players don't want to use the joystick.

Other than that, I don't think a third action button is needed as Klonoa is built on the two button gameplay philosophy of "quick input and fast play". This was established by the the first game's lead designer Tsuyoshi Kobayashi.

It could be archaic, sure, but I find that Klonoa's gameplay charm lies on clever and intuitive level design that is easy for most players to comprehend at first and then becomes a fun challenge as the journey proceeds on. I believe most games should strive to be like this to some extent.  :smile2:
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho

Offline Rupurudu!

• Breezegale Resident
  • Dreamer Rating: 37
    • Klonoa.org
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 08:51:48 pm »
Maybe Whirlwind like in the Wii remake? I dunno, I kinda like the simplistic 2 button layout.

Offline Caos

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 09:21:03 pm »
In Klonoa 2 for the PS2 you can summon Popka by pressing start on the second controller, you can then perform a Popka Jump by pressing square on the second controller, what about you press select on the controller of the player 1 to summon Popka and use the 3rd action button to perform a Popka Jump?

Offline rapappa the pepper

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 15
  • I do want a soulmate.
    • Rapappa The Pepper's Neo Cities
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 09:22:47 pm »
That sounds... Very specifically funny.  :embarassed: But it makes sense for an easter egg for the 3rd button action to be so specific.

Also, i get it, and i even mentioned in the top of the post, that Klonoa was meant have a 3rd action button, but was removed, because, well, it did make the game worse to play, and people probably didn't read that right and, well, just, continue the fact that, well, yeah, it is better as a 2 button game, but the question is... What if there was a 3rd action button?
Is this a forum they forgot, or has the forum forgot them?
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline ThatGuy70 (Mikey)

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 13
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 11:43:55 am »
I always wondered what it would be like if you could have a unique attack with every enemy type you grab. Maybe designate that special attack to the third action button? Like if you grabbed a shield Moo, you could use the shield to push away armored enemies, the lance to dash into enemies, the spring to get an extra boost of height, or the green propeller enemy to get an extra long flutter glide you can reuse.

Then on top of that you could throw the enemy or double jump on it at any time.