Once you go Klonoa, you can never go slowa.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: How did you feel when you found out about Beach Volleyball?  (Read 1028 times)

Online rapappa the pepper

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 15
  • I do want a soulmate.
    • Rapappa The Pepper's Neo Cities
When i first became aware of this game, i was so like "???  :embarassed:" And specially for the fact that, it doesn't even take place at beaches for the most part. Strangely, i felt even more shocked of this game existance, that, it is surprisingly fun, in-fact, for a while i considered this my favorite for how crazy i was going with it...  :embarassed:

That kinda remains true, emphasize KINDA, but as is a re-occuring flaw in Klonoa games, the re-play value is, kinda not there...

So yeah, what were your experiences when you played and met this game or something else?  :bad_straight_face:
Is this a forum they forgot, or has the forum forgot them?
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline PhantomShiba

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 6
  • Your (probably) exhausted nerd
Re: How did you feel when you found out about Beach Volleyball?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 08:43:45 pm »
When i first became aware of this game, i was so like "???  :embarassed:" And specially for the fact that, it doesn't even take place at beaches for the most part. Strangely, i felt even more shocked of this game existance, that, it is surprisingly fun, in-fact, for a while i considered this my favorite for how crazy i was going with it...  :embarassed:

That kinda remains true, emphasize KINDA, but as is a re-occuring flaw in Klonoa games, the re-play value is, kinda not there...

So yeah, what were your experiences when you played and met this game or something else?  :bad_straight_face:
When I first found about it I was confused, like it isn't a bad game, it's just weird as a Klonoa game. It does feel out of place but they were probably just trying to capitalize on what Mario Sports titles were doing. I can see the goals and by no means is it a bad game but there isn't much there, but as a stand-alone title; It's fine nothing special.
-PHANTOM SHIBA (Moxie)-
(Actual age: 15 - I made a mistake on my profile :p)

• Hero
  • I do want a soulmate.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 08:46:23 pm »
I always thought Beach Volleyball should've been a side game in Lunatea's Veil, kinda like how Tekken games had Tekken Volleyball y'know, and also Tekken Bowling.  :unsure:
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline RAYDEN

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
  • Dreams make a wish come true
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 08:46:40 pm »
I can only imagine Namco's thought process being like

“Guys, we need to make a Klonoa game but this time it needs to emphasize multiplayer!”

“Uh, well maybe we could make a sports spinoff?”

“Forwarded! We're making a volleyball game boys!”

Jokes aside I heard that it's not that bad for a beach volleyball game considering there's not many of those around. While that subgenre wouldn't have been my first choice for a Klonoa spinoff, at least I could see myself having some hilarious moments with the lads if somehow we manage to end up playing it together.
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • ’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 09:39:30 pm »
“Oh cool! Another Klonoa game on the PS1! And it’s Europe and Japan only! I have to get a copy!”

Offline RAYDEN

• Heart Moo
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 09:46:58 pm »
It puzzles me how Namco skipped the American release for this one, I guess they wanted to tame the risks? The financial failure of the series is still entirely on them though.

• Hero
  • I do want a soulmate.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 09:50:52 pm »
I'm sure Klonoa would do better on the Saturn and in Japan.  ;)

Offline Cobra!

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 12
  • ’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 06:39:45 pm »
I actually don't think you'd be entirely wrong. The PS1 was an over-saturated market with way too many platformers. Ironically the Saturn was lacking, so Klonoa would stand out more!

In any cade, it would be really cool to see someone attempt to port Klonoa to other systems like the Saturn or 3DO, like they've done with Tomb Raider!

That said, I think most of Klonoa not succeeding is actually down to Namco just not caring enough to push it out there and let people know it exists! I've only ever seen 2 TV ads for the game, both are Japanese. There is a somewhat disturbing/weird magazine ad for the original in the west?

Offline RAYDEN

• Heart Moo
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 09:48:18 pm »
In any cade, it would be really cool to see someone attempt to port Klonoa to other systems like the Saturn or 3DO, like they've done with Tomb Raider!

I love the idea, I'd be up for a Klonoa porting job...if I was well-versed in coding. I also never even touched a Saturn in my life  x_x

I doubt someone ever decompiled the original Klonoa, so it would be a bit of a ground-up replica of the game architected to work on the Saturn or 3DO. People on the homebrew scene know best about this stuff.