Browsing this site on a smartphone? Be sure to browse it in landscape for the best experience!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: The reason the scrapped redesign was considered in the first place  (Read 5391 times)

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
While looking at Klonoa wii redesign articles last night, I stumbled upon this one, which confirmed that the scrapped redesign was a "Modernized" design. Needless to say, character designs never go out-of-date so there was really no point in doing a "modernized" one. But I'll just let you read for yourself. By the way, view this article on a computer and not a mobile device, because the mobile site uses Onswipe and that thing is rediculous.
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/03/13/klonoa-director-discusses-ditched-klonoa-redesign/
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
Re: The reason the scrapped redesign was considered in the first place
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:53:09 am »
Hmm...interesting article. Definitely clears the air about this whole redesign thing.

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline Bitterman

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 12:05:16 pm »
Yeah I knew of this. From a business standpoint I can understand the redesign, perhaps they tried to cater more to Sonic fans and the like, but... lol. Klonoa was always the kind of game that's so cutesy, it would give Charles Manson diabetes, not something edgy and hip like Sonic. It's kind of hard to sell in the west, where people raise an eyebrow even if they see you playing Sonic. Nothing short of a total reboot would really achieve what they seemingly aimed for with the redesign.

Here's for hoping that doesn't happen, God forbid.  :|

As the commenters there said though, putting it in as a totally new character, not as part of some redesign/reboot... yeah, it would fit. Maybe as a rival?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:07:03 pm by Bitterman »

Offline Graystripe2000

• Global Moderator
  • Dreamer Rating: 29
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 12:16:50 pm »

Here's for hoping that doesn't happen, God forbid.  :|
For using that redesign for Klonoa? If so, you actually took the words right out of my mouth.

As the commenters there said though, putting it in as a totally new character, not as part of some redesign/reboot... yeah, it would fit. Maybe as a rival?
DEFINITLY use it for a new character. I'd say more likely as a friend.
Discord: Graystripe2000 #6860.

Offline Super Klonoa

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
  • The Dreamer of Light
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:40:15 pm »
Yeah I knew of this. From a business standpoint I can understand the redesign, perhaps they tried to cater more to Sonic fans and the like, but... lol. Klonoa was always the kind of game that's so cutesy, it would give Charles Manson diabetes, not something edgy and hip like Sonic. It's kind of hard to sell in the west, where people raise an eyebrow even if they see you playing Sonic. Nothing short of a total reboot would really achieve what they seemingly aimed for with the redesign.
If anything, Klonoa with the traditional long ears would actually fit in more with Sonic, really, not this ugly redesign. 'Cause you know, Sonic characters tend to have exaggerated traits such as large quills, two huge tails, spiked knuckles, etc etc. The redesign looks more like something from Ratchet and Clank, really.

If that was their reason, then it was a mistake as Klonoa already looks like a Sonic character with the long ears, not this.

PSN ID: Super_Klonoa

Offline Bitterman

• Heart Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 5
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 03:11:08 pm »
@Windbullet:
Not just that, but more like a complete redesign of the game, so it "appeals" more to western audiences. I always thought that Namco was considering that with the Wiimake at some point, perhaps in the very beginning, but came to their senses. I don't see why they'd only want to redesign the main character like that. My guess is, that the redesign was a remnant of that idea, popping up later into development once more, but that's just me.

@Super Klonoa:
My point was that they tried to give more of an edge to his design, which fits more with Sonic characters than Klonoa.

Offline NebulaVista

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 14
  • Archivist Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 03:13:58 pm »
DEFINITLY use it for a new character. I'd say more likely as a friend.

I always thought the redesign looked a lot like Guntz in the first place.

Offline Super Klonoa

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 3
  • The Dreamer of Light
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 03:26:24 pm »
@Super Klonoa:
My point was that they tried to give more of an edge to his design, which fits more with Sonic characters than Klonoa.
Well, I don't see this extra edge. The redesign doesn't look any more Sonicy than he already is. Like I said, the redesign's ears are something more of a Ratchet-esque type than Sonic.

Or Guntz, yeah.

PSN ID: Super_Klonoa

Offline NebulaVista

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 14
  • Archivist Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 03:36:42 pm »
The edge comes from the fact that his redesign looks like a character with a cocky, "2cool4school" attitude (which is the same kind of personality that Sonic himself has), compared to his more "cutesy"/friendly look.

Offline Gyzyn

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 10
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 09:43:20 am »
I guess that the full interview with Hideo Yoshizawa is appropriate to share here, I hope that someone will find it useful: http://www.siliconera.com/2009/03/20/klonoa-now-and-then-hideo-yoshizawa-returns-to-phantomile/#hJlrhE4uGru2B68q.99

"After the concept art was covered by the media we received a mountain of responses telling us not to change Klonoa. This show of support convinced us to keep the updated design that was used in the Japanese version. To tell you the truth, I was taken aback by the support from all the fans who have stuck with Klonoa after all these years.  I remain eternally grateful to all of Klonoa’s fans."

- It seems that Mr Yoshizawa is an artist faithful to the art. He values it more than business.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:59:22 am by Gyzyn »