The Klonoa Wiimake made a fatal mistake in renaming Joka. It better not happen again.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Phantomilian Conlang thread  (Read 522 times)

Offline AGiLE-EaGLE1994

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • Shameless Wiimake Enjoyer.
Phantomilian Conlang thread
« on: October 06, 2023, 09:54:58 am »
I know there's already a thread regarding the structure of Phantomilian, and I do think I'd consider it a partially completed conlang already, considering there are hints of a case system, and the words are the same every time they're used, and aren't just random keyboard mashing, and it seems to have consistent grammar. I think the main issue it has is that it needs a lot more words to be coined. I'm really looking forward to swear words because I have a sailor mouth. :big_smile:

More words that co-relate to individual English words, instead of whole sentences, would make the language much easier to use, though we could come up with a compound word system to merge individual words into sentence-words like are sometimes used. Having three cases only with no grammatical gender would definitely help make it simpler too.  German's tense system is also different.

If anyone reading this post doesn't know what I mean by grammatical gender, I mean having different versions of certain words to refer to male, female, or neuter subjects. Like for example, "Hermano" and "hermana" in Spanish, which are "Brother" and "Sister", respectively. Or "Der/Die/Das" in German, which all mean "The", but are for different gendered subjects.

In German, fish are always considered male, cats are always considered female "Katze" is "cat" in German, but German has a separate word for tomcats ("Kater") as English does, except in German, using "Der" (Male "The") or "Er" ("He) with "Katze" is considered bad grammar, whereas in English "Cat" can be referred to as "He" or "She".

Unlike how in English, most non-living things are called an "it", in German, that isn't usually the case. A Door ("Tür") is always considered female, ships ("Schiff") are always considered neuter (an "it"), and a table ("Tisch") is always male.

So in German, you'd write "The Door" as "Die Tür", "The ship" as "Das Schiff", and "The table" as "Der Tisch", even though "Die", "Der", and "Das" all mean "The". German also always capitalizes nouns, whether they're proper nouns or not.

German also has a very complicated pronoun system, which has both "polite" and "rude" forms. And the word for "She" can also mean "They". "Sie" means "They" in most cases, but "sie" (NOT capitalized" always means "she", and when you use the "polite" case to refer to someone, you always call them a "they" even if you know their gender.

The "rude" form of "you" is "Du", which is equivalent to "Thou" in English, and the polite form is "dich". The case system in German also allows amusing quirks such as swearing at someone in polite grammar, such as "fick dich", which means "f##k you", but uses "dich", the polite form of "you". Isn't that kind of ironic?
Eric Stitt's voice for Klonoa is fitting, and I will die on that hill.

Offline rapappa the pepper

• Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 16
  • I do want a soulmate.
    • Rapappa The Pepper's Neo Cities
Re: Phantomilian Conlang thread
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 12:14:08 pm »
Would be funny to see Klonoa swearing when he turns 13 in L'sV.  :bad_straight_face:

So... Well, the Phantomillian language is based on some kind of Japanese, and it does not work like German, or English, or, well, most languages, Japanese kinda for the most part works with letters that does a sound, which that means something, but literal "most correct" perfect translations are not possible with Japanese, and same goes to this, I think Klonoa's name was an attempt at word-play, i heard he was meant be called "clone" because he's being controlled by the player or something.  :unsure:

Basicly, to translate to German, the exact meaning will never exist due to how different these languages work.
Is this a forum they forgot, or has the forum forgot them?
Hello, pleased to meet you. Uhhhhh, i guess i like to draw traditionally a lot of Klonoa things, specifically for Whispers of Wind project, i make music for that too! As well as 3D models, not low poly Playstation fashioned tho, i like 90s Virtua Fighter 3 type models, any ways. You can know more about me at my Neo Cities: https://rapthepep.neocities.org/

Offline AGiLE-EaGLE1994

• Moo
  • Dreamer Rating: 2
  • Shameless Wiimake Enjoyer.
Re: Phantomilian Conlang thread
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 12:27:47 pm »
That's true, but I meant using more English-like grammar just to make it easier to type in/speak for most people. Having individual words for each one that would be used in English in most scenarios and less of the "sentence words", and SVO word order. The actual tense and case system doesn't have to be identical, it could just be an extension of what already exists. I made a Google doc with all existing research from here copy-pasted into it, and it's public so anyone can edit it.

I think the first thing that should be done is organizing the words into lists. Nouns, pronouns, verbs, and so-on, followed by organizing each category by tense/case, because organization would definitely help.
Link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cxJZTqQ4khFg97T6F7WubTOhC3SJPYBLUfM4_U0DDBk/edit?usp=sharing
Eric Stitt's voice for Klonoa is fitting, and I will die on that hill.