We're partners with the Klonoa for Smash Bros. Facebook page! Be sure to give them a visit!

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: Donkey Kong and PAC-MAN have became baddies? Sony PE presents: Pixels  (Read 2123 times)

Offline RollingMeowcat

• An ordinary dreamer
  • Hero
  • Dreamer Rating: 19
  • Not a fan of Sonic/Pokemon
In fact, I don't have the slightest idea about this movie.
But, hey! PAC-MAN's creator made his guest appearance!
My favorite animes:

More to come

Offline Sable-Xeno

• God in the Machine
  • Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 50
  • The dude.
Re: Donkey Kong and PAC-MAN have became baddies? Sony PE presents: Pixels
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 03:25:12 am »
Wreck-it Ralph is an example of a great video-game based movie: while it certainly had its fair share of references, its main focal point were the characters, and how they interacted with each other and the videogame-based world around them. Said references didn't exactly take precidence of the movie: They were just there to enhance the experience.

...This movie, on the other hand, looks like its literally gonna be JUST about the references. (And...kind of dated ones, honestly.) But hey, they have a really good and well-established excuse for it:

How did the aliens get the message? How did they take it the wrong way? Why videogame characters? All this, and so many questions...but hey, who cares? It looks like it's just an excuse plot for, well, "PACMAN IS EVILZ, YOU GUYS!" Obviously the movie itself will address these questions, of course. Can't give away everything in a 2-minute trailer.

I'm not saying this is gonna be a bad movie: Hell, this actually might be good. And that joke with Toru Iwatani is...kinda good, kinda cheesy, I dunno. BUT! I definitely see this movie having some "camp" potential. Like the Super Mario Bros. movie, or The Wizard, or Snakes on a Plane. Just sorta...gives me that "good-bad" vibe.

...Oh, and remember how somebody hacked Sony and found some information on them getting the rights from Nintendo to make a movie that had something to do with Mario?...Well. Donkey Kong. There ya go.

It's entirely possible that I'm bashing this trailer solely because I may have watched too much Nostalgia Critic as of late. I'll probably see this in theaters, regardless.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:32:52 am by Sable-Xeno »

Artwork drawn by Somnax (FA), 5th Gen Pokemon sprite bases made by Pokemon-Diamond (DA).

Offline Dish

• Gone with the Wind
  • Hero in Training
  • Hi! I'm Dish!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:30:28 am »
It... Seems cool, in theory, but I really don't know. Eh, I'll probably like it, I am easily pleased.

And isn't that guy the one from Multiplicity? I mean the guy who seemed to be in a very lead-role-ish position.

Offline Scroptels Gluzar

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 24
    • Pixiv
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 03:38:16 am »
This is the kind of stuff that makes people say that movies suck when there's many other wonderful ones out there (and also makes them say that videogames are a better art form...).

Offline SurrealBrain

• Star Member
  • Dreamer Rating: 13
  • Goody goody!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 03:41:53 am »
Adam Sandler's appearing. I find Sandler's films a hit or miss, though with more "miss" than "hit."

Chris Columbus is directing. Eh, he's done some good work, but some bad work as well, so who knows?

Not sure what to expect here. At any rate, there will probably be better movies to see, or heck, even better things to do if the movies are all lacking.

Thanks to FRAYKER for the signature! :)

Offline the_darai

• Shadow Lurker
  • King of Sorrow
  • Dreamer Rating: 69
    • Den of Darai
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 10:06:55 am »
This movie's gonna tank. Besides Futurama already did this. Look up Raiders of the Lost Arcade.

Offline AlphaRed9X

• Stand User
  • Star Member
  • is Mayonnaise a Klonoa?
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 11:36:21 am »
To be honest, it upsets me that people outside the video game industry seem to think that video games only existed back in the early 80's. Every time a movie or TV show tries to appeal to the "gamers" (a term which I really could do without), it only ever acknowledges games like the original Pac-Man, Asteroids, and Space Invaders. As if video games were only good back in those days, which is as far from the truth as it gets. :sad face:
It a me

Offline Dish

• Gone with the Wind
  • Hero in Training
  • Hi! I'm Dish!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 10:57:54 pm »
To be honest, it upsets me that people outside the video game industry seem to think that video games only existed back in the early 80's. Every time a movie or TV show tries to appeal to the "gamers" (a term which I really could do without), it only ever acknowledges games like the original Pac-Man, Asteroids, and Space Invaders. As if video games were only good back in those days, which is as far from the truth as it gets. :sad face:

Yeah. And anyways, considering how popular SNES/N64 titles are these days, where are the characters like Geno and James Bond? Or characters from PS1 or PS2 games like Rayman and Klonoa? C'mon people, Pacman, DK, and Sanic aren't the only Video Game characters out there.

Or just newer games in general, we don't need to be exclusively Retro. People like Sackboy or Pit from KI:U would be hilarious in a movie.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:59:43 pm by Dish0ut »