Once you go Klonoa, you can never go slowa.

Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective Untamed Heart Klonoa Collective

Author Topic: What music type/genre do you think best suits video games in general?  (Read 1410 times)

Offline ThatGuy70 (Mikey)

• Hero in Training
  • Dreamer Rating: 14
Re: What music type/genre do you think best suits video games in general?
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2023, 11:59:15 am »
When I hear “video game”, I think of commodore, Genesis/Saturn, and Namcot games. That era feels like the most “video gamey” music, that very arcade sound. Unrighteousness amounts of fire in those tracks. But then again, there’s also the NES and pretty much every 80s arcade cabinet, which is definitely another contender for the definitive video game sound. Actually it very much so is the quintessential video game sound, but the Genesis for some reason feels like the happy medium between classic 80s chip tune and 90s sensibilities of composing, with a more enhanced soundchip but still having limitations to bring out the full creativity.

I love how modern remakes of Genesis Sonic games from Tee Lopes is able to fully unleashed the power in Hydrocity and Flying Battery Zone, the latter remake which feels like the definitive Genesis song for me. There’s also the Ducktales remastered ost which is a masterful celebration of the best NES soundtracks.

I don’t wanna put modern soundtracks down. Those are no less video game soundtracks. In fact the meaning of that term has become limitless ever since the introduction of CD audio. Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, especially indie games like Shovel Night, Cuphead, Undertale, Owlboy, etc. At this point I’m just listing banger video games so, just enjoy video game music! :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 12:06:48 pm by ThatGuy70 (Mikey) »